Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading about the slight reinvention of Saab that Spyker has planned (PistonHeads Headlines) got me wondering about people's perceptions of certain mainstream manufacturers.
"Saab will continue to be repositioned against other brands such as Audi and BMW as a premium brand..."
It's difficult to classify some manufacturers, but I'd definitely say that Audi & BMW are 'premium' brands - mainly because premium simply means 'expensive'.
But in my eyes, BMW are a sporty brand, while Audi definitely aren't.

What are Alfa?
I wouldn't say they were a premium brand - not on the same scale as Audi or BMW but I wouldn't say they were wholly sporty. More of a sporty/luxury marque but with a premium feel.
Maybe this is the problem - are Alfa trying to be a jack of all trades but a master of none? :confused:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Reading about the slight reinvention of Saab that Spyker has planned (PistonHeads Headlines) got me wondering about people's perceptions of certain mainstream manufacturers.

It's difficult to classify some manufacturers, but I'd definitely say that Audi & BMW are 'premium' brands - mainly because premium simply means 'expensive'.

What are Alfa?
I wouldn't say they were a premium brand - not on the same scale as Audi or BMW but I wouldn't say they were wholly sporty. More of a sporty/luxury marque but with a premium feel.
Maybe this is the problem - are Alfa trying to be a jack of all trades but a master of none? :confused:
Nothing like a good bit of labelling debate for a quiet Tuesday afternoon. IMHO none of these labels define Alfa. I'd consider them in the VW/Seat league of the VW Group stable - middle of the road but slightly quirky. The previous ranges may have been sporty but I don't see any of the current range as 'Sports Cars' (handling wise my 5yo C Class Merc would leave a 159 for dead).

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
OK well here goes ...

in VAG Audi would be considered a Premium Brand

Ford (when it owned them) had a Premium (Premier) Automotive Group consisting of Volvo, Jag, Landie and Aston

As to Alfa ...

Well if you ignore Ferrari (and possibly Maser) and go for a VW/Seat/Skoda/Audi brand modelling ... Fiat is the base brand, Lancia is for those who want something a little quirky/avant garde and Alfa is the sporting brand ... so lining these up Fiat would be a VW/Skoda crossbreed ... Lancia is Seat ... Alfa is a Seat/Audi crossbreed

Well that's my take anyway !

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Although most alfa models are advertised as sporty, I wouldn't put most of the cars in the sports car category, mainly because their handling is poor because it is compromised by looks and price, and most models are given fairly modest engines unless you get the highest priced option. All round, the mito is probably the most sporty car in the alfa range, as it competes with the best cars in its category/price in terms of handling/performance.
The 159 has been reviewed well for its handling, some say it competes with the bmw 3 series, however most models are front wheel drive so it isn't quite as performance oriented as the BMW. However it looks way better and is much less common.
The brera is neither sporty nor premium, as it undercuts BMWs by quite a way, and all except the best engines aren't even that fast (0-60 takes 8+ seconds). Its handling has also been reviewed as mediocre. But it sells based on looks, and gives a high level of luxury for its price.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
i cant believe people appear to be putting alfa on a par with Seat:tut::tut::tut::tut::tut: wrong in so many ways. go and scrub yourselves with wire wool and seriously consider the consequences of your actions and seek help immediately.

·
Registered
294 Posts

What are Alfa?
I would put Alfa on a par with Seat as a mainstream brand with a bit of Auto Emoosssion, It would have been good for Alfa if Saab had shuuffled off I guess the will steal sales from one another. If you have a company car you rather drive the Alfa or Saab than the Ford or the Vauxhall but can't run to a Merc or BMW.

·
Registered
294 Posts

? Audi R8, S3, S4, S6, S8

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

? Audi R8, S3, S4, S6, S8
Just because a manufacturer has a fast top of the range vehicle, it does not automatically become a sporty brand. Vauxhall make a VXR for most of their range and have been making GSIs for longer yet they're far from a sporty brand.

Sporty to me means exciting to drive across the range not just one version of a model. This is where Alfa should excel. Even the base models need to have something about them to enhance the driving experience. Unfortunately, that tends to mean hard suspension. :rolleyes:

V

·
0 Posts
merc - luxery
bmw - prestige
vw - middle market
audi - premium
ford / vauxhall - work horses / rep mobile
korean brands - budget
japs - reliable
volvo - safe
landrover - offroad
alfa - sporty

·
Registered
294 Posts
Just because a manufacturer has a fast top of the range vehicle, it does not automatically become a sporty brand. Vauxhall make a VXR for most of their range and have been making GSIs for longer yet they're far from a sporty brand.

Sporty to me means exciting to drive across the range not just one version of a model. This is where Alfa should excel. Even the base models need to have something about them to enhance the driving experience. Unfortunately, that tends to mean hard suspension. :rolleyes:
So the sporty BMW range includes small 1 series diesels X3, X5, X6, 7series tuned for specific markets not being sporty, any sportiness is a by product of a great design.

Audi has sporty S Line models throughout the range and in almost every market sector, Audi is definately a sporty brand and so is Vauxhall with strong showings in touring cars and affordable sporty models such SRi, GSi, GTE VXR road cars for years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts