Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Having come from an audi s4 and using the premium petrol I now own a lovely alfa romeo stelvio veloce. 2021.
It is such a wonderful thing to drive . I still have been using premium in the alfa for the last couple of months. It got me thinking now the price of petrol has rocketed I might go onto the standard petrol.
Any thoughts premium or standard.
Cheers for any replies.

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
9,885 Posts
Wrong terminology. The basic 95 RON fuel in the UK is called Premium.....the allegedly better stuff is called Super.... you cant get the Standard grade (often just 92 RON octane) in the UK....but you can in many other places. So what you really want to know is Premium or Super....and since your car is engineered to work at it optimum on 95 RON and cant advance its timing far enough to take advantage of the higher octane Super offers (even ALFA recommend 95RON) you wont gain much if anything....you might as well save your money and use Premium ....others will now appear arguing that their car runs better or gets more MPG on Super....but will have no argument for why!!! Usually these are the same people who argue just how important is is to use the correct grade of oil rather than a better one!!! LOL! Best just to try it and see what you think....I'll move over for the others now!!!

·
Registered
948 Spider LE
10,728 Posts
From carbuyer.co.uk:
''Even if your car is cleared to run on the new E10 fuel, you may choose to run it on super-unleaded anyway. It should prove slightly more economical, so you’ll be able to get more miles out of a tank of fuel, and some super-unleaded fuels are said to clean and maintain the internals of your engine.
The difference between unleaded and super-unleaded petrol is down to each fuel’s Research Octane Number (RON). Standard fuel is often 95 RON, while super is often between 97 and 99 RON. Super-unleaded petrol can sustain a higher pressure before burning than standard petrol, essentially allowing the engine to produce slightly more power.
Super-unleaded burns a little more efficiently than standard petrol, and also helps to prevent pre-ignition in the engine. This is when the petrol doesn’t quite ignite when it should, which produces a knocking sound and can lead to engine damage if left unchecked.''

People on here have been reporting poorer mpg since using E10, and some say the opposite with E5. And if you know where to shop, it's only 7p a litre more for E5 anyway.

As far as oil goes Alfaitalia, anything will do as long as it's the correct grade as stipulated by the manufacturer. The same goes for petrol - no need to pay over the odds at Esso, Shell, Texaco et al when some supermarkets are selling it considerably cheaper.

Reactions: amfalconer

·
Registered
Panda 4x4 TwinAir
4,200 Posts
I run mine on E5 (which most premium fuels are now), the RON number is less of a concern for me

With the disparity in costs being less than the cig
packet calculation of efficiency vs the two, I reckon I'm still a bit better off.

·
Registered
40,383 Posts
Agree with amf. I just run the Jeep (1.3 FireFly) on the one with the least amount of E numbers.

Which around these here parts is SP98E5 or SP95E5

1 - 5 of 5 Posts