Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told this morning that the Shell Station in Scunthorpe is closing on Friday. :rant: It will reopen later as a "Harvester" (Irish owned and will not take fuel cards) This means there is no premium fuel supplier in Scunthorpe. Nearest Shell will be Grimsby, Lincoln or Doncaster. Nearest BP the Doncaster North Services at Thorne.
I was also told, but do not know how true it is, that Shell are trying to dispose of Grimsby and possibly pull out of the North all together.
How does Esso or supermarket fuel compare with Shell? I have always used Shell for preference, no doubt influenced by their advertising.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Hi,
I have used the Total garage on Donny road a few times as the Shell garage is the wrong side of town for me.(your Xsara should like it there as I believe it is French ?) they sell premium fuels ,excellium I think it is, which I use and so far ,the car hasn't suffered any of the usual problems that some owners have experienced .Since the other Shell garage closed in Scunny and became Jet :mad: we are fast running out of options.
Martin.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Martin,
Yes The VTS is French and still has the original Total sticker (Citroen reccomend Total). I have always used Shell since I live within walking distance of the old Burringham road unit. Now it's Jet i might have to give it a try. Total is OK if shopping at Sainsburys but if I recall correctly it is more expensive than Shell and JET(with the 2p/litre voucher they give you each time you fill up)

I am 95% decided on the Gilietta as the VTS replacement just waiting for the fixed rate bonds to mature (only way I could get a reasonable interest rate on the car fund) before progressing. If possible I hope I can pick up an ex-demonstrator.

Tony

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,340 Posts
There is also a Thread in the 916 Lounge ( and somewhere else I think ) about the amount of Bio Ethanol added to Unleaded Fuel. IIRC it is increasing from I think 5% to 10% this Month and according to the Link very few Alfas will like this.

A particular concern to Classic Owners as this stuff is said to rot old Fuel Lines/Seals amongst other things. :(

Life was easy before all this " Green " tinkering, petrol was, er, petrol, you paid yer money and drove away happily.

And how can Bio Fuel be Green ? Don't know the actual figures but it's a lot of Acres just to produce a Litre or so of this stuff.

Neer mind, in twenty years or so all us peasants will be back to Shanks Pony and freezing candle lit homes all so the Greenies can be smug as they walk in sandal footed feet to their allotments to take care of their Composters.

Hell, the future looks bleak. :(

·
Registered
170 Posts
I used the Jet garage in scunny in november and it was 127.9 while everywhere else was 131.9...very bizarre!

If you want your car to live a prosperous fulfilling life stay away from cheap nasty watered down supermarket liquid. there is a noticeable difference in MPG when compared to shell fuel (which imo is the ultimate fuel even though it is french)

if im ever in lincoln i always fill up with shell, but the scunny shell is in an awkward position. I usually have to use Murco in brigg as its closest and not dirty tesco.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Can we be confident that the Fuel for supermarkets and indies is not from the same refinery. ie just down the road in Killinghome?

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if im ever in lincoln i always fill up with shell, but the scunny shell is in an awkward position. I usually have to use Murco in brigg as its closest and not dirty tesco.
The Scunny Shell is no more. I got the following email from the Shell Driver's Club yesterday afternoon

Dear *******************,

As a valued member of Shell Drivers’ Club, we would like to inform you that the Shell Service Station at Ashby Road, Old Brumby, Scunthorpe, Humberside, DN16 2AQ will cease to be part of the Shell network from 11.01.2012. From this date, you will no longer be able to collect Shell Drivers’ Club points there.

But don’t worry - you still won’t have far to go to refuel with Shell and be able to continue collecting Shell Drivers’ Club points. The nearest alternative Shell Service Station(s) are:

A180 Moody Lane, Grimsby, Lincolnshire, DN31 2SY

You can also find other Shell Service Stations in your area using our helpful Shell Service Station Locator.

We look forward to seeing you soon.

Shell Drivers’ Club
I emailed straight back pointing out that a 50 mile round trip was not my idea of "still won't have far to go"

M

·
0 Posts
The Shell station down Sleaford Road in Boston has also gone. Its been took over by a firm called Apple I believe and will sell this new biofuel. There is no way I'll be filling up there:tut::tut:

K

·
0 Posts
The Shell station down Sleaford Road in Boston has also gone. Its been took over by a firm called Apple I believe and will sell this new biofuel. There is no way I'll be filling up there:tut::tut:
:wow: :cry:

was the only place i use, saw it was taped off on monady night but being a jtd driver i can last 3 weeks between stops :lol: so didn't worry.

where now then?

bp ultimate at heckington?

long way out to fill up.

think the esso one on john adams way has the higher spec fuels don't they?

was just getting some decent points on my shell card too :(

L

·
0 Posts
we have a load of shell petrol stations in Peterborough and 3 of them were responsible for cloning peoples credit cards a couple of years ago :wow: I stick any old rubbish in the merc so use a cheap indie who is 4p litre cheaper than everyone else. :) 134.9 litre is normal around here though for normal unleaded :tut:

M

·
0 Posts

was the only place i use, saw it was taped off on monady night but being a jtd driver i can last 3 weeks between stops :lol: so didn't worry.

where now then?

long way out to fill up.

Shell in Boston was always seemed quite cheap for fuel as well(petrol was 129.9p/ltr) The nearest Shell near us is now in Horncastle and like yourself Kev and Tony I also had a Shell drivers club card. I still have two 25 litre fill ups to get my extra 100 points bonus and I'm not travelling upto Horncastle because it would end up costing more than what the points would be worth:rolleyes: Its the Total garage in Coningsby for me now. I always used Shell petrol for the Sprint (apart from one occassion which I think may have blocked the idle jets slightly:()

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
It would appear that for some reason Shell UK has begun a complete withdrawal from Lincs.........:confused:
PS Lost my card some time back......

·
Registered
503 Posts

where now then?

long way out to fill up.

Just put 20 litres of Total ultimate unleaded in the 146 at sainsburys wot a difference it goes and drives like a 16 valver again not using that Tesco shite again!!!

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It would appear that for some reason Shell UK has begun a complete withdrawal from Lincs.........:confused:
PS Lost my card some time back......
Rumour (I stress rumour) has it that the Grimsby Shell is also up for sale. If so I can't imagine one out in the sticks at Horncastle will last much longer

K

·
0 Posts
the horncastle one is always a fair few pence per litre more than the boston one was too.

only used to go there in the sud for the optimax as it was a great drive up there and back down the lanes..

wondre if the new sud will really end up road legal, wouldn't mind trying the lanes again with a bit more go and a lot less weight :cool:

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
The Shell garage in Horncastle may survive due to its location on the main drag to Skeggy.Having said that, the Shell garage at the end of the A180 isn't exactly hidden away !!

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,340 Posts
OK, going to stick my oar in here and get flamed but what the hell ! :D

Do you really think there is any difference in " premium " fuels against the Supermarkets cooking petrol ?

I've tried them all and can't say that I've noticed any difference. There have been discussions about this before and it seems that opinion is split - no definite conclusions drawn.

When I first got the '6 I was using Premium Unleaded and then one day couldn't get any so stuck the normal Unleaded in, no difference noted so since then I have stuck to this.

Is it all in the Mind or is there really a quantifiable and measurable difference ? :confused:

·
Registered
170 Posts
higher octane fuel stops 'pinging' so it is necessary in many high end sports cars/track cars etc and some remapped ECUs.

it also includes more cleaning chemicals, so it is good to use every once and a while. probably not needed at all on non injected engines.

The supermarkets buy cheap nasty fuel from anywhere, because they dont care quite frankly. You will often find supermarkets do not make a profit from selling fuel, it is only there as a convenience to bring in customers. As long as it is CE kite marked or whatever it needs to be it will be sold.

K

·
0 Posts
filled up this morning at the esso one on john adams way, seems that will be my best choice now.

and at least they are doing a promotion on free cinema tickets :lol:

·
Registered
475 Posts
i also used shell premium deisel, when ive used some other fuels from supermarkets etc.... i tend to get worse economy, rough idling on some occasions, but worst of all i notice more smoke when overtaking, so what is actually in some of the stuff, my engine certainly isnt keen on it, when she drank shell premium she runs like a kitten, with a bit of a growl. dont need to fill up this week, think maybe i will try esso too, with mabe a shot of redex too.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts