Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it popped up,

So swopped the glow plugs for new ones and same problem.

So checked with the alfa obd software and it said heater relay thingy knakcered,

Ran the tests and does not click..

Soo off to grab a spare one from the alfa breakers by me

I assume these are a doddle to fit

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Which reminds me... For the last 18 months I've had that warning about pre heating not working but the car always started cleanly enough. But I haven't seen it for a while and can't remember the last time I did. Do you think it got bored of telling me it wasn't working and gave up? Or fixed itself? Or maybe someone at Autolusso spotted the cause and fixed it without telling me back in December? Guess I'll never know!
Guy

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which reminds me... For the last 18 months I've had that warning about pre heating not working but the car always started cleanly enough. But I haven't seen it for a while and can't remember the last time I did. Do you think it got bored of telling me it wasn't working and gave up? Or fixed itself? Or maybe someone at Autolusso spotted the cause and fixed it without telling me back in December? Guess I'll never know!
Guy
lol mines still moaning after chaing the the bits and bobs.

To be fair cba

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Hiya

relay box works fine, when i connect the glow plugs it stops working..??

I have put bosh plugs in as well so i am miffed
Bosch plugs, I assume these are the shorter ones in that case?
What length are they?
Just double check all the connections to each plug, especially 3 & 4, you should get a comforting click when they connect properly?
Another thing that I am convinced worked for me was to add a new additional earth lead from the engine block to the battery, my plugs now come on and virtually straight off within seconds whereas before they didn’t?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bosch plugs, I assume these are the shorter ones in that case?
What length are they?
Just double check all the connections to each plug, especially 3 & 4, you should get a comforting click when they connect properly?
Another thing that I am convinced worked for me was to add a new additional earth lead from the engine block to the battery, my plugs now come on and virtually straight off within seconds whereas before they didn’t?
Car electrics have no clue about..

i assume earth is a wire off the engine to the negative of the battery?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Car electrics have no clue about..

i assume earth is a wire off the engine to the negative of the battery?
Yup!
Get yourself some earth cable long enough to go from the battery negative to a good location on the engine block.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I tried everything, new plugs, relay, then discovered there is a yellow fuse on the battery for it!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Strange why they ‘stop’ working when connected to the box - Are you sure the relay box isn’t knackered?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Strange why they ‘stop’ working when connected to the box - Are you sure the relay box isn’t knackered?
Morning, on friday evening i undid the battery earth and reseated it jumped in car and tehcar went off, no electrics etc.. so muttered some swear words and had a cuppa, (Did disconnect battery) came out reconnected battery and it sprang back to life.. and glow plugs now work fine.. i bought a earth strap yesterday as an extra, where shall i strap the other end too?? (yes i know the battery)

thank you

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Morning, on friday evening i undid the battery earth and reseated it jumped in car and tehcar went off, no electrics etc.. so muttered some swear words and had a cuppa, (Did disconnect battery) came out reconnected battery and it sprang back to life.. and glow plugs now work fine.. i bought a earth strap yesterday as an extra, where shall i strap the other end too?? (yes i know the battery)

thank you
Just find a convenient spot on the engine & bolt it on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts