Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'ello! I've always felt the Facelift rear lights are one of the worst styling features on the car - presumably they were stretched in an attempt to balance out the larger Facelift headlights and grille?

I read earlier that both Pre-Facelift and Facelift 156s share the same rear wings and bumper mounting points.

If this is true (and the outer rear lights are identical, which I am not sure they are but should be if the rear wings are truly identical), then it should be possible to fit the earlier Pre-Facelift 156 rear bumper, tailgate and inner lights to a Facelift 156.

Has anyone ever done this? Or have photos of this?

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Don't see any reason why it can't be done.....the outer lights are definitely the same. It would be a bit of an expensive exercise, though, for very little change, and surely the front and rear bumpers would be mis-matched.......?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for confirming the outer lights are the same. Yeah, I agree with what you're saying.

Just wondered if it was possible and anyone had done it. I quite like the idea to be honest.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The only difference between the two bumpers is aesthetics.. the pre facelift has a strip on the bottom bumper where facelifte does not.. personally i prefer the pre :cool: lights look a lil different maybe but pics not best angle.. only had outer shots soz !

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Billiam. I know what they look like. Have a facelift 20v JTD now, had a pre-facelift V6 before :)

Just wondered if anyone had done it. I've seen a few pre-facelifts with a facelift front-end conversion, but never the rears done either way.

Inner light wiring would be my next question. Not sure it's worth the hassle ultimately? :lol:

M

·
0 Posts
Much prefer the facelift lights

But as said yes the bits should fit so if you want to why not, go ahead and enjoy the results...

Don't know why you wouldn't just change boot lid though as no need to change bumper to get pre-facelift lights :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't know why you wouldn't just change boot lid though as no need to change bumper to get pre-facelift lights :)
Fair question :) I'm in the process of buying a Zender kit. Was considering trying to adapt the rear bumper spats to fit on the facelift bumper. Then I discovered the earlier bumper should fit the facelift car. Lastly, I discovered the earlier bootlid and inner lights should fit the facelift car, and I've always disliked them.

So the light swap was something of an after thought really, even though I started this thread talking primarily about the lights :)

I think I'm going to try and use an early bumper with the Zender rear bumper extensions and keep the facelift lights. If it looks weird I'll have to think about finding an early bootlid.

This thread was really to find out if anyone had swapped either bumper or bootlid, and to see if anyone had any pics of what it looked like.

M

·
0 Posts
Ok then I'd say swap both... but I'd say get the rubber inserts out the bumper and fill smooth as reckon the bump strip ruins clean lines of a 156 a little...

Anyway that'd be my tip for doing it. Bumper and boot and remove and fill bumpstrips :)

G

·
0 Posts
If I was in the market for a post 2004 face lift 156, I would do exactly the same mate.
I hate the rear end and much prefer the rear of the pre-face lift and it is indeed a direct fit replacement so easy enough to do...
The problem is: Getting the boot properly aligned and getting the paint codes to match. Only a few colours were continued throughout the range, with many new colours superseding the pre-face lift model yet look similar.

You could respray of course but then you can also run into other issues... Natural paint fade being one when trying to match it via paint code. Then it just looks like it's been rear ended in the past :rolleyes:

You also have to consider market value too... We know all 156's are cheap now but if you ever sell, the buyer or trader's automatic thought will be "unrecorded accident damage" and not "oh that looks much nicer"

Just some food for thought mate;)

Bring back Tapatalk !!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts