Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So was debating this with myself the past few minutes and wanted to get the thoughts of other 166 owners, I was browsing the autotrader earlier to have a look at the post face lift 166's value (I need a back up plan down the line) we don't have many of these at all in Ireland so looked in the UK, they seem to be quite valuable compared to the pre face lift cars.

The post face lift 2004 (V6) 3.0 or 3.2 is averaging around 6-7k!, while the post facelift can be picked up for as little as 1k...big gap in that given that they are very similar cars. I know the 3.2 is very rare (What a car) but does 3 years and a facelift warrant that extra value?

I had a friend over the weekend and he complimented the 166, saying it's a beauty in great condition etc but the front end is horrid...I nearly dropped my pint...Maybe it's me but I'd be far more in the pre face lift corner, I love the dipping look of the car, it feels more Alfa , more I dunno Italian muscle car to me instead of (Let's look a little BMW) I know it divides opinion and my made does drive a boring Ford Focus and once commented that my 166 is a slow Fiat rip off...

Don't worry lads , he changed that opinion after a quick knuckle grabbing spin and 5 minute education of the Busso engine..

Anyway, what you all think?

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I have to admit I used to prefer the pre-facelift but am now coming round to the facelift car more. The pre-facelift seems very dated now, more-so depending on what colour it's in.

Agree with you on the value however - there seems too big a gulf between the two given the minimal differences. Maybe the facelift car has the rarity value on it's side although I'm sure the pre-fl cars are becoming more rare as they get older and start to disappear as they are written off, broken for parts, etc.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
The main thing is it seems that that the later cars may handle better especially the Ti versions.
As said they are very few and far between. If you want a large alfa it's the only one. i.e nothing to replace it with so holds its value???????

As for looks 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other.:thumbs:

As for the 3.2 v6 thats only 10 bhp short of a GTA that is also a factor IMO

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have to park my pre-facelift Super in a public car park. It is interesting to note over the last couple of years, as newer cars are being parked alongside, how much lower she appears in public. She now very much looks like the low slung Grand Tourer she was in my mind! I say this even when compared to the new BMW 6 Series 4 door coupe.

My only complaint on the pre-facelift is the down turn on the front indicators which always makes the car look slightly glum. One of very few car designs to employ this look!

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
That look changes if you kneel down and look it completly changes from sad to somewhat agressive. Try it. but takes some getting used to It's not what you would expect the face of an Alfa to look like.
However the body lines are .:thumbs:

·
Registered
GTV TS P2, Giulia 2,2 Q2
321 Posts
IMO, the pre-facelift hasn't aged very well - it just looks a bit too sad with its drooping nose and sad eyes. The facelift has worked wonders for her, much more purposeful and worth the slight premium. The profile of the body line is just so handsome. Mine's a FL TS lusso and I love her.
Parked next to the anonymous 10 year younger German badges she holds her own and you can see people constantly stealing a glance. Makes me smile:D

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I like both. The original is definitely on the strange side from the front...with headlamps as big as crab's eyes...they look up at you from the sea-bed as it were.

So not as complete as the original 156 design. Hence the facelift looks better on the 166 than the 156.

However, from the side the facelift loses the defined wedge shape of the original as the front end is blunted, and it also loses the swept front that accentuates the width at the wheel-arches....

The 156, I much prefer the original shape....and the 156 GTA kept that shape... and I think the 156 GTA will be a classic Alfa which defines the 156 in all time.

The 166...hmm, I like the distinctive of the original and so put up with the oddity. The Facelift is more generic of mid-2000s Alfas which will "date it" arguably more narrowly, as the pre-facelift is so odd that it isn't obviously late 1990's...which may mean it keeps fresher in the long run....?

The 3.2 Facelift will probably define the 166 though, as the the GTA does the 156.
GTA's are worth about four times a regular V6 156, so that could explain why the 3.2 166 will always hold a premium...two times a regular 166 maybe?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Think last I read 2011 there was only 44 3.2 V6's in the UK, wonder how many of them are left now. I can only see their value increasing from here.

There is a big gulf though , a 3.0 super pre face lift you can get for 1k but you'd be looking at 5k + for a post lift V6...guess it's a welcome change to see an Alfa holding value.

I baulk when I see friends spending 3k on a bland spec BMW each to their own and all but I think the 166 V6 is savage value for money compared to them. I bought mine in the UK for 850 pounds and brought it back to Ireland, I've spent quite a bit on it since I've had it but every 14 year old car will need that.

Have had it half way around Ireland the past few days and it just continues to make the driving easier I really love driving it....did get a poxy nail in the rear tire though!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I spent £500 getting mine serviced....oil and filter, pollen filter, and erm....two ignition coil packs....£145!

Yeah, well I got water in the plug wells after a happy engine wash and brush up....whatever you do, if you clean up a Busso...don't splash water about!!!

Where is Wally? oh - there he is - washing his engine!!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Pre facelift all the way! The fact that Marvin is such a Marmite look is what makes it special. Much better to have a style that people either love or hate, than to be "yeah, s'alright", which is what the facelift is like for me.

The way I see it is the facelift has 2 primary styling issues. 1, the face doesn't fit the arse. They should have really restyled the arse (blandified it) at the same time. 2, the facelift is so normal, so bland, so commercial.......and it looks blunt, stubby, and unsporting. It does absolutely nothing for me at all. I wouldn't feel the least bit special owning a facelift.

One other thing bother me about them. On the prefacelift the beige interior with black dash looks great. On the facelift, te beige interior is beige all the way. Even the damn airvents are a pensioners colour of choice. Instead of looking stylish like the old two tone interiors, the newer ones look like a rack of used coats in a Marie Curie store. Yuck.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
That look changes if you kneel down and look it completly changes from sad to somewhat agressive. Try it. but takes some getting used to It's not what you would expect the face of an Alfa to look like.
However the body lines are .:thumbs:
Until you see this your missing out!!!!

It's ugly until you get it at the right angle....... But when you do its look fresh, stunning and one of the best looking cars to date. Many owners won't see it.

My dad drove my 166 to pick me up once while I was on a kerb side, as it came toward me I realised I had something special...... Not many of you will see this.

·
Registered
11,055 Posts

It's ugly until you get it at the right angle....... But when you do its look fresh, stunning and one of the best looking cars to date. Many owners won't see it.

My dad drove my 166 to pick me up once while I was on a kerb side, as it came toward me I realised I had something special...... Not many of you will see this.
Been lying in the gutter in my younger days tay Eshy...How ewe dooin?
Nows the time to bag one before they are awe gone.
Pomeo

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Pre facelift all the way! The fact that Marvin is such a Marmite look is what makes it special. Much better to have a style that people either love or hate, than to be "yeah, s'alright", which is what the facelift is like for me.

The way I see it is the facelift has 2 primary styling issues. 1, the face doesn't fit the arse. They should have really restyled the arse (blandified it) at the same time. 2, the facelift is so normal, so bland, so commercial.......and it looks blunt, stubby, and unsporting. It does absolutely nothing for me at all. I wouldn't feel the least bit special owning a facelift.

One other thing bother me about them. On the prefacelift the beige interior with black dash looks great. On the facelift, te beige interior is beige all the way. Even the damn airvents are a pensioners colour of choice. Instead of looking stylish like the old two tone interiors, the newer ones look like a rack of used coats in a Marie Curie store. Yuck.
yeah I'm with gloomy really. Facelift is corporate Alfa mid 2000s. Original is for the connoisseur who can appreciate the swept lines (front view) and the amount of detail fitted neatly into the narrow face, and the coupe wedge (side view). Facelift loses both. Still looks smart though, but yes the all beige interior is yuck.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts

This kind of angle you mean ailesh? The headlamps and grill continue the downward sweep of the bonnet and wings as one unit, which accentuates the width and height behind of the wheelarches, giving that "muscle" look.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
This kind of angle you mean ailesh? The headlamps and grill continue the downward sweep of the bonnet and wings as one unit, which accentuates the width and height behind of the wheelarches, giving that "muscle" look.
YES thats bang on!.....although you cant see it in the pic.....but when you no longer see the droopy lights and it looks like its got huge biceps..some times you get a hint of it, but its not the real deal.......My GT looks good, better then the 166.....but when you see the 166 like this above nothing compares - not even a 4C, 8C. Alfa Romeo really did something amazing with this car! Clarkson saw it.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Been lying in the gutter in my younger days tay Eshy...How ewe dooin?
Nows the time to bag one before they are awe gone.
Pomeo
haha.... Pomeo, I really miss the 166 and the way it went, felt and just how it munched up the miles......but I really dont miss the filling station. As much as I love the guys at Alfa Shop.....and if you have never used these guys your missing out. I dont miss having them on speed dial. In fact I best call them otherwise they will forget all about me :-(.

No more 3.0 V6's for me......and actually the GT might be my last Alfa.

I cant afford a v6 brera, the JTDM brera does as much MPG as a V6 166 so thats a no go....the 4c I cant afford nor the 8c.....I miss my dog and I hate pot holes. Land Rover Disco?

Or keep the GT for a long long long time.- I love it!

Anyway, enough about me Pomeo, whats the crack with you? Any more 166's on your drive way / street? How are they ALL.....any died?

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Yep, I've changed my mind. I actually really like the original design. I get what a previous poster mentioned about the side on profile and the way the nose sits low and sleek! :thumbs:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep I agree, I guess that's what I was trying to say in my original post it's the muscle car look, Italian beast that's the way she looks to me...then you open that bonnet and see the chromed V6 and hat confirms everything...

Spent another day in that engine today, got the plenum cover out for cleaning and painting (bit of a job getting that out) dropped a poxy Allen key somewhere in behind it and can't locate or see it now...gave the car a shake but can't hear it I hope to god it's not dropped anywhere that will damage it, had it in a wrench getting the bottom bolt out and slipped from my grip...

Also my new induction system arrived from UK so have to build and fit that tomorrow as well, new MAF as well I better be up at the crack of dawn!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts