Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
77,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now...........you'd think I would be cheering.........

As far as I am concerned..........give them 5 mins of "reflection" at the start to think about whatever they wish:

• cars
  • footy
  • witchcraft and fairycraft
  • gardening
  • durt

I don't care.

Just don't say "let us pray" and force the issue.......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
now...........you'd think I would be cheering.........

As far as I am concerned..........give them 5 mins of "reflection" at the start to think about whatever they wish:

• cars
  • footy
  • witchcraft and fairycraft
  • gardening
  • durt

I don't care.

Just don't say "let us pray" and force the issue.......:rolleyes:
Amen to that!

·
Registered
237 Posts

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
I'd feel uncomfortable being forced to have 'prayertime'

·
Administrator
45,534 Posts
Have they banned prayer? Or did the judge just say it was unlawful to have it as a requisite?

·
Registered
237 Posts
When I was at school we had to do prayers and look how I turned out ................ :D

·
Registered
37,751 Posts
I am not religious, but banning prayers is a bit extreme.

Maybe those who wished to pray could start the meeting 5 mins early, have their prayer and then the rest could come in after.

For the sake of keeping everyone happy there must be a way of compromise?

Prayers in school I don't agree with though, schools are for learning maths, english etc... If a parent wants to bring up a child in a Christian way they can do it at home or in church. The difference here is that Adults are old and wise enough to make their own minds up about religion, children are not.

·
Administrator
45,534 Posts
That was a genuine question! I had seen the story, but not read all the detail on it.

·
Premium Member
77,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am not religious, but banning prayers is a bit extreme.

Maybe those who wished to pray could start the meeting 5 mins early, have their prayer and then the rest could come in after.

For the sake of keeping everyone happy there must be a way of compromise?

Prayers in school I don't agree with though, schools are for learning maths, english etc... If a parent wants to bring up a child in a Christian way they can do it at home or in church. The difference here is that Adults are old and wise enough to make their own minds up about religion, children are not.
pretty much agree

if you want to pray - do it in your own time, not over other peoples beliefs or business. Simples.

·
Registered
10,575 Posts
Could it not have been treated like Church for weddings/funerals/christenings......many people go to these ceremonies, where they have prayers and hymns, many also do not join in with the prayers and hymns yet shock horror, stay in the church.............

·
Premium Member
77,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Could it not have been treated like Church for weddings/funerals/christenings......many people go to these ceremonies, where they have prayers and hymns, many also do not join in with the prayers and hymns yet shock horror, stay in the church.............
erm........................the clue is highlighted above...........

·
Registered
10,575 Posts
erm........................the clue is highlighted above...........
Highlighted it may be, still shows that it is down to an individual to make a choice, i have been in organisations that would start the meetings with a prayer, i did not join in, nor did i want the starting prayer stopped..

·
Registered
237 Posts
Highlighted it may be, still shows that it is down to an individual to make a choice, i have been in organisations that would start the meetings with a prayer, i did not join in, nor did i want the starting prayer stopped..
Exatly Wayne, there is a hard core of people in the UK that are anti everything and they are the vocal minority dragging the silent majority into their AGENDA, its time these idiots went and jumped off a cliff and do the good people of the UK a favour, I would like to ban oxygen for them to breath.

P

·
0 Posts
Exatly Wayne, there is a hard core of people in the UK that are anti everything and they are the vocal minority dragging the silent majority into their AGENDA, its time these idiots went and jumped off a cliff and do the good people of the UK a favour, I would like to ban oxygen for them to breath.
Whenever I hear the term 'silent majority' it makes me shudder. It harkens back to the extreme conservative element in US politics and to me is used basically to try and convince people that most people think such and such without a shred of evidence to back it up. Maybe they shouldn't be so silent.

·
Registered
448 Posts
They haven't banned anyone from praying, they're just not allowing it on the Agenda, which makes it an official part of the meeting. The majority of people in this country are not actively religious - why should the minority be allowed to force their religion on others?

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
julian cope once mused about how MP's in the commons & the lords should all be sent out for a compulsory tommy tank before any really important vote, as post-tommy was the only time a man can genuinely think with total clarity, free from all distractions

perhaps local councils could abandon prayers in favour of a more cope-esque approach to serving their electors?

·
Administrator
23,038 Posts
I find it all a bit sad tbh.

I have no religious beliefs. So - why on earth would I worry if others said prayers before a meeting?

Why would my "human rights" be impinged by others doing what they do?

The ruling means it still goes ahead -albeit voluntarily.

Sorry - I just don't get it - as a non believer I would have been happy if the rest of them prayed before a meeting - content to sit there whilst they did and I was "excluded" - shows their intent and commitment to something they truly believe in.

If you don't believe then you have just witnessed people saying things so - let's get on with the day to day stuff.

Granted - they will never see that you are accepting their beliefs whilst they ignore yours - but - hey - we need to talk about the parking restrictions in East Street.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts