Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Well...after replacing the aluminium powersteering pipe that goes onto the rack, the powersteering pump has gone...or at least looks that way!

basically replaced the pipe, filled the system back up, and now whining, and when bleeding theres still air coming out of the system forever, and a little notchy at times.

Was hoping for some advice is powersteering pump is a D.I.Y job, or if not, how much am i looking at having it done at a garage.

Also, is there any chances the racks gone too?

G

·
0 Posts
Usually on replacing and refilling the powersteering fluid, it takes a fair bit of lock to lock turning to bleed it...
Best way I found was to jack up and use axle stands the front end of the car to make it a lot easier on the steering, tyres and suspension...
Double check your manual for total fluid capacity... You'd be surprised at how much it uses and if you top it up and it runs low while bleeding, it's back to square one again.
Double check ALL the joints, pump, rack and pipes for loose connections, splits etc. Anywhere air can be drawn back in.
Start the engine.
Make sure that the cap on the reservior is removed and you have a helper constantly topping up
Turn lock to lock and hold it on full lock for 3 seconds at a time, the noise will change. It usually takes a minimum of twenty to twenty five turns to bleed it assuming you have no other leaks.

Failing that, remove the clips that hold the steering rack gaitors to the inner rack and check to see if any fresh fluid is pushing past the rack seals themselves, it should be easy to see on some kitchen towling once you wipe the metal rods, it will be a nice red colour if all is not well with the seals.

IIRC its around 2.1 litres on a 156 of DEXIII from empty to fully bled... so if you are using anymore than that while bleeding on a 147 , then you have a definate leak still :thumbs:

Good luck mate HTH

Ps... make sure that the little rubber pipe that attaches to the power steering filler cap is breathing ok, no blockages to prevent further pressure variance.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot for the help! Will give it a go and see where I am after that! Again, much appreciated!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well...finally got a chance to have a proper look at it this morning....and Grahameo, you have saved my Bacon on that one!

I was sure the pump had gone from the racket it was making, but a double check of the connection onto the rack, a little tweek (although I think it was properly alligned anyway) and some perserverence with bleeding, had saved my a heap of cash and messing!

Thanks again!

G

·
0 Posts
:thumbs: No worries Gaz... Just Glad it worked out cheaply.... As soon as someone mentions pumps, be it power steering or even fuel pumps i'm a bit dubious:lol:
I've yet to see one fail on an Alfa for no apparent reason other than really bad maintenance or abuse... They are generally bullet proof!
Just make sure you keep an eye on the fluid level, flush & change the fluid every two years and you shouldn't have any further troubles mate;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts