Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, hope someone can help.

I've had some power loss issues on my GT JTD. Twice recently I've had to call out the AA. Today the AA guy said he thought is was the EGR.
Essentially after a few minutes driving I'd start to lose power, to the point that I could hardly pull away from a junction. It was a struggle to rev and there was just no go in the car. Eventually I had to pull over on the hard shoulder. The first time this happened I just gave the car a rest for 20 mins and after a few attempts and some revving it was back to normal.
Today the car rested while the AA came and after a bit of revving was ok again. The car is still not quite right and I've noticed since the first incident (c. 3 weeks ago) that the fuel consumption has been poor. The AA guy said there was no fault reading and that he reckoned it was the EGR.
Car is just over 2 yo with c. 20k miles

I have a few questions and hope someone can help.
*Does this sound like the EGR?
*The car is in the 3rd year of warranty - I assume this will be covered? Will Alfa faff around with this problem?
*If the EGR is replaced will the ECU be re-set, thus losing any custom maps?
*I've heard the EGR can be disbled through an ECU map. Can this be added to an existing custom re-map or would I have to go through the whole re-map process again?

Thanks in advance - CBA :thumbs:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Usually a dodgy EGR would throw up a fault code but you never know. Alfa should cover this under warranty anyway. Disconnecting the battery or a ECU reset will not result in losing custom maps, however if they plug in the examiner to update the ECU for whatever reason then you will lose the custom mapping (can't see that happening unless there has been a issue).

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I presume the fuel filter isn't clogged? Long shot but a maybe. Shouldn't really be an issue at 20k though.

If you're not sure about the EGR, search for the strip down guide (there are a few threads that lead to it). It often corrodes on the solenoid side and seizes up. If you strip it down, clean it and lube it you can fix it for nowt! It's also worth doing as preventative maintenance even if it's working ok. clean out the "action" side as well, obviously! :)

oo of course you're still under warranty aren't you. Get a new one put on! :D And as Alid says, don't let em update the ECU program. they should just reset any fault codes I'd have thought?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the answers guys. I'll take it to the Alfa dealer (30 miles away!) and see what they can do. Would prefer to avoid poking around the engine bay whilst the car's under warranty and the weather is freezing!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Thanks for the answers guys. I'll take it to the Alfa dealer (30 miles away!) and see what they can do. Would prefer to avoid poking around the engine bay whilst the car's under warranty and the weather is freezing!
Wouldn't a remap invalidate the warrenty???

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like a dirty/faulty EGR valve, perhaps turbo hoses are also cracked maybe? was the car smoking?
It wasn't smoking anymore than I'd expect from a poorly derv being revved, so difficult to tell.
Is it likely for turbo hoses to be cracked in a 2YO car?

·
Registered
154 Posts
The EGR seems to be a major weakness, if that is what it turns out to be and a new one is fitted I'd try asking for the old one and try applying the repair instructions to it - then you'll have a spare for next time.

Searching will show similar instructions elsewhere. All I can say is it worked for me

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
It wasn't smoking anymore than I'd expect from a poorly derv being revved, so difficult to tell.
Is it likely for turbo hoses to be cracked in a 2YO car?
Its possible.. I had a similar experience to yours, except my car was smoking quite a lot. The EGR was stuff and turbo hoses had cracks in them.

I've actually replaced the hoses twice in the last 4 years

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I have just been through this.

1) A dodgy EGR does not throw a fault code.
2) If it is stuck open then you loose power between 1000 and 2100 revs once you get over 2100 it will pull away happily.
3) You can blank it off this will give you back the power in this rev range - which will prove if this is the issue or not.
4) The power loss does not come and go.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've a Blackline too and just had what sounds like exactly the same problem in that I noticed over Christmas that it felt as if it was losing power under 2k rpm. Last week though I set off for work and barely made it to the top of the hill near me so turned around and came home.

The next day the AA finally got to me and followed me to my nearest Alfa dealer (the car was behaving better but still had almost no power below 2k). I told the dealer I thought it was the EGR valve and left it with them. Phone call later from them confirmed it had been the valve and they'd put a new one in...all under warranty and with no questions asked.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Egr

Hi Guys,

Mine became almost unbearable under 2k rpm, I took the valve off and seperatedthe solenoid from the valve and cleaned the valve up....AMAZING..it was more like a new car than a new car could be! the engine was also so smooth, both in term of the power delivery and the noise...I'll be making this an annual job I think!:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts