Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Can someone advise how I should check the power steering fluid on my GTA

I checked it with the engine cold and it sat on the min line then checked hot and its at the max line.

The power steering pump is noisy even on the move so just need to rule low fluid out. It's noisy once engine is warm not to bad when first setting off.

I guess I check it when warm, but just want to double check.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
807 Posts
My PS is noisy when close to full lock. Have so far flushed and replaced fluid, new PS pump, couple of leaking pipes replaced, and a new steering rack. And guess what, it still ‘moans’!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
My PS is noisy when close to full lock. Have so far flushed and replaced fluid, new PS pump, couple of leaking pipes replaced, and a new steering rack. And guess what, it still ‘moans’!
Mine often did that without any other symptoms. I put it down to a pressure relief valve opening when lock was on the end stops. No idea if that was a true explanation.

I did need replacement pipes and the rack needed an overhaul. The pump was still fine after 13 years and 175,000 miles.

Andy

·
Registered
725 Posts
Make sure you bleed all the air out when replacing the fluid by turning it a number of times lock to lock. I like to do it with the front wheels off the ground as I feel as though it puts less pressure on the steering components. I did a P/S fluid change on a car not long ago and it groaned for a minute or two but is now as it was before (no groaning).

There is usually a Cold Min, Cold Max, Hot Min, and Hot max line. But as long as the fluid is within the two lines that's ok. It just expands when it gets hot so that's why it changes, like the coolant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts