Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had this s/s powerflow exhaust system with power cat,for my 156 2.0ts sportswagon.Went to fit it today but a bit lost,the system comes in 2 bits.The tail pipe and then the long section which has the power cat at the front then a silencer after that.
Looking at my exhausts,the last 2 parts only has the tail pipe and one silencer,then the next part is the cat with a probe going into it.I can not get the 2 front bolts off,so think i will have to take it somewhere to be done,but when fitted it will mean having 2 cats on.Is this right.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Took a couple of photos of powerflow systems,to see if anyone can spread some light.
http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww90/bikes-for-me/Pi

cture004-2.jpg
My system on the car only has a one middle box,take it that the first box on the new exhaust is the power cat.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Dear God what is that tailpipe doing on an Alfa exhaust?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
looking at the first pic you posted, the exhaust hangers on the silencer are the wrong way up....you look to have the frontmost pipe pointing up at the rear end, and the inlet for the silencer pipe also pointing upwards....

aaanyhoo. the powerflow cat should bolt directly to your exhaust manifold downpipe, replacing the original cat.

·
Registered
39,133 Posts
Had this s/s powerflow exhaust system with power cat,for my 156 2.0ts sportswagon.Went to fit it today but a bit lost,the system comes in 2 bits.The tail pipe and then the long section which has the power cat at the front then a silencer after that.
Looking at my exhausts,the last 2 parts only has the tail pipe and one silencer,then the next part is the cat with a probe going into it.I can not get the 2 front bolts off,so think i will have to take it somewhere to be done,but when fitted it will mean having 2 cats on.Is this right.
You have got the right one haven't you?

There are 2 types, one for the CF2 and one for the CF3

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You have got the right one haven't you?

There are 2 types, one for the CF2 and one for the CF3
:thumbs: Any idea what the powerflow one is.Just looking at my exhaust i think i have 2 pipes coming off the manifold,and each pipe looks like it has a cat on it with some sensor on each one.Then there it goes into a flexi single pipe which goes into another cat looking box with another sensor on it.Then its the long middle section which has one box on it,going to tail pipe.
Being a 51 plate car think it could be a cf2 0r cf3,but got a feeling it might be the latter,and the powerflow is for the cf2.Its my tail box that is going,not sure if you can buy flexi pipe so i can fit powerflow tail pipe.

·
Registered
39,133 Posts
:thumbs: Any idea what the powerflow one is.Just looking at my exhaust i think i have 2 pipes coming off the manifold,and each pipe looks like it has a cat on it with some sensor on each one.Then there it goes into a flexi single pipe which goes into another cat looking box with another sensor on it.Then its the long middle section which has one box on it,going to tail pipe.
Being a 51 plate car think it could be a cf2 0r cf3,but got a feeling it might be the latter,and the powerflow is for the cf2.Its my tail box that is going,not sure if you can buy flexi pipe so i can fit powerflow tail pipe.
Yours will be a CF3.

I am not sure what exhaust that is though, but I know ones for CF3 cars tend to be slightly more expensive.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:D Got the end can fitted,boy it sounds good and feels like it goes a lot better now.It must be working well with the induction kit i put on,just wished the middle section with power cat was for the cf3 model.
Will be putting it on ebay now,good i love this car.:D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:D Couple of pics of can and induction,might not be everyones taste,but i think its loads better and it sounds great.It just feels so much stronger low down now,were it was a bit slow on the take off before.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
the backbox looks nice.
why dont you take the cat section to a powerflow outlet or any custom exhaust place near you and get them to fit the cat section you already have afterall thats what they do.(make custom exhausts) you have the expensive bit.(cat) all they have to do is fabricate the pipes to you system.
they can use the cat you already have.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
looking at the first pic you posted, the exhaust hangers on the silencer are the wrong way up....you look to have the frontmost pipe pointing up at the rear end, and the inlet for the silencer pipe also pointing upwards....

aaanyhoo. the powerflow cat should bolt directly to your exhaust manifold downpipe, replacing the original cat.
:D Well spoted,i have laid it down wrong way when i took photo.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the backbox looks nice.
why dont you take the cat section to a powerflow outlet or any custom exhaust place near you and get them to fit the cat section you already have afterall thats what they do.(make custom exhausts) you have the expensive bit.(cat) all they have to do is fabricate the pipes to you system.
they can use the cat you already have.
:thumbs: That section is not far off the one i have,its just my cat is on the next section up ,and then another 2 cats further up.
Will just cut my loses and put it on ebay when i get round to it.
The powerflow is top notch gear,any ideas what this section should be worth with the power cat in s/s,also have the front hanger mount too for it.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
If you don't mind me asking what are the measurements of the tailpiece? I'm getting a custom exhaust made in about a fortnight and I'm looking for a tailpiece like that.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
My local powerflow place quoted me nearly 300 quid for a performane cat. They are not cheap. As they are not just a de cat. You can still get through an mot. Seriously i would keep it. The only difference to your system and a cf2 is that you have pre cats coming from the manifold. Those pre cats rob you of 5 bhp. The performane cat would give you that back and maybe a bit more. If you think how much a superchip is and you only get about 10 bhp. You would be nuts to get rid of it. It really will not take much to make it fit.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My local powerflow place quoted me nearly 300 quid for a performane cat. They are not cheap. As they are not just a de cat. You can still get through an mot. Seriously i would keep it. The only difference to your system and a cf2 is that you have pre cats coming from the manifold. Those pre cats rob you of 5 bhp. The performane cat would give you that back and maybe a bit more. If you think how much a superchip is and you only get about 10 bhp. You would be nuts to get rid of it. It really will not take much to make it fit.
:thumbs: If i was to try and use this section with the power cat,what happens to the probe that goes into the cat.I can not see a fixing on the pipe to put the probe or should i say sensor into.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts