Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just had a stainless steel powerflow exhaust fitted and am having to take it back to be adjusted for a second time. From outside the car it doesn't sound too bad - still noisier than I want but bearable - but from inside the car it is appalling.

It creates a deep and loud hum, particularly when cruising in top. I had the family on board last night and they were all moaning, particularly those in the back. It really is impossible to live with.

I know these are often aimed at those who want to create a din but has anyone else had one fitted and found it ok - ie similar to the standard Alfa exhaust? I fear that when I go back for a second moan I'll be told "it's meant to sound like that - there's nothing we can do" or something similar.

Anyone else had one fitted and found it acceptable? I'd be interested to hear before I go back to the dealer!
Cheers

·
Registered
379 Posts
Most of these sports exhausts sound nice on paper..The reality is different for daily use..I had a sports system on my GMC Yukon V8 and the sound was terrific while cruising and revving it up..But try going uphill and the sound becomes a nightmare..I had it removed and reverted back to the original system..
If you use the car rarely [ weekends] then its worth fitting a modified system, but for everyday use it becomes hell..My thoughts..:confused:

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have a powerflow system on mine from the cat back as the standard one died a rusty death! I asked them to make it as quiet as possible and they have done a very good job, on idle there is a bit more noise but nothing major and in gear etc. it is as quiet as anything from in the car, not sure abuot outside as I haven't let anyone else drive it lol!

They can open up the silencers and repack them with more stuff to quieten it down a bit. Overall i am very pleased with mine!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I had the same bother as you. give em their dues they sorted it eventually but it took some pressure on my part. Putting my original cat backon sorted the problems.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
I had a powerflow part system (front downpipes and rear box) fitted to my 1994 164 Super back in 2002 - Was Ok for me but Quadcamboy bought the car soon after.

Is this the one you mention Steve?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Refering to 166 Dougie. Last I heard about M424 I'd been in one of the local fast fit centres where we had an apprentice and he'd been in for a middle section methinks. That was about a year ago.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Interesting, as I have a stainless exhaust from the CAT back. The system only comprises of two silencers with the middle one removed for a bit of 'free-flo'. It is quite noisy, I must admit. But windows down in a tunnel at 6,000rpm in 2nd gear more than makes up for it! I'm such a child!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the feedback and I am pleased to report that the problem has been resolved. After two more visits to the Powerflow dealer in Cornwall, he ordered a new, larger box and that has left the car with a lovely growl from outside but none of the unbearable hum from inside.

So for £350 I now have a lifetime guarantee on a stainless steel system that really suits the 166. The dealer (South Crofty Tyres and Exhausts) could have washed his hands of the problem but to his credit he wanted to make sure he had a satisfied customer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Had a longlife cat back one put on mine. THey made it fairly quiet by putting in three boxes rather than two. There is a slight boom around 2-2500rpm when cruising up hills in sixth but apart from that it is fine. Especially quiet at 70-80mph.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
The previous owner of my car added a full Powerflow Stainless system and it certainly isn't boomy or too noisy, inside or out. It makes a very nice growl :). The only thing which annoyed me was that he chose an ugly, letter-box style end piece :mad:. Unfortunately, this can't be solved cheaply, as it would mean replacing the entire rear section, including back box.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Surely not Tony - When specifying your Powerflo system you can choose from various ends which are then welded on. A helpfull dealer will sort out for you.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have a powerflow system on mine from the cat back as the standard one died a rusty death! I asked them to make it as quiet as possible and they have done a very good job, on idle there is a bit more noise but nothing major and in gear etc. it is as quiet as anything from in the car, not sure abuot outside as I haven't let anyone else drive it lol!

They can open up the silencers and repack them with more stuff to quieten it down a bit. Overall i am very pleased with mine!
Ditto as above........

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Surely not Tony - When specifying your Powerflo system you can choose from various ends which are then welded on. A helpfull dealer will sort out for you.
I'll have to check again when I'm next back in the UK.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hello I have got a 3.0 with the powerflow on and it is far to loud, met a chap the other day with a 2.5 with the same system. His rear box is a much smaller bore and his sounds fantastc. Im off to get mine changed, to the same bore!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts