Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opinions welcomed..

I need to get the center silencer next to the cat replaced, and I'm thinking of just doing the whole lot from cat back while i'm at it. The center and rear sections are already rusting anyway... (1 and half years later :mad: )..

One of the nearest places to me do powerflow exhausts and quoted me £449 for the sections.

I generally have read the ragazzon and alfaholics are good for these cars. Before I fork out can anyone advise how good the powerflow ones are? I want to know with regards to quality and noise levels. It's well out of my limited sphere of knowledge but afaik there wont be hell of a lot of difference between brands right?

cheers :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Eek now i'm more confused.. got another quote from local garage for £349 but the make is longlife however, 100 quid cheaper... !

So... longlife or powerflow? :confused:

G

·
i have commented on this in the past...

I have had both, powerflow offer a 'lifetime' guarantee on thier stainless products, what they fail to tell you is that the brackets and hangers are mild steel, so when they fail, as mine did, and snap the exhaust, which mine did, they will charge you for a replacement exhaust, which is what they tried to do with me.

Longlife however were a whole different bunch of people, they were excellent, i have had 2 cars done with them and both of them still have their exhausts on them and they were fitted 5 and 7 years ago.

and as you have pointed out, longlife were cheaper.....is really is a no brainer

and in asnwer your question will the quality be different between brands, yes there will be and it will be massive....

Alfaholics system has been designed for the GTV/Spider after a lot of testing, it is guaranteed to give power increase and suit the engine, as is the Ragga....

Powerflow and Longlife are comanies who supply exhausts that are stainless, in much the same way as kwik fit will fit a mild steel exhaust, there is no guarantee of the quality or performance that the more expensive brands are.

as soon as i can i will be biting the bullet and getting an alfaholics system as i think it is very good value for money

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Can't comment on those 2 brands as mine was done in Enfield by Torque Exhausts, but what I can say is DO get the whole stainless steel catback exhaust - there are significant sound and performance advantages :thumbs:

My 2.2 sounds like a V6 these days :cool:

Watch the noise levels in the cabin though, you may need a fairly hefty straight through centre silencer, I ended up with 2 straight through centre silencers!!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks I booked in for the longlife, as it seems good value. Going to ask if they can put a center silencer in, I have read this is the one which reduces most boomy noise. Only thing to do now is decide on a tail pipe.. :cool:

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
As said above, Longlife and Powerflow do a similar job - make bespoke exhausts which will change the sound and performance of your car. The quality will depend on the individual shop and fitter's skill and experience. In theory you may be able to tailor your requirements in terms of the trade-off of sound/performance but only if the fitter has sufficient experience to advise you.
By comparison Alfaholics and Ragazzon kit are designed to optimise your car. I have used both. In my experience Ragazzon are noiser than Alfaholics. Alfaholics fit perfectly to the car with no tweaking, hassle or modification. That wasn't the case with the Ragazzon kit which I had to take to a Longlife fitter to cut and reweld to fit.
But of course Alfaholics are more expensive that Longlife.
One caveat is beware of putting a straight-through rear section. I had one for a while (Autodelta) but it was too noisy and boomy at 2-3,000 rpm.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I've got a cat back Longlife quad system and have been very impressed with it, but as the others say the quality you get mostly depends on the individual who fabricates it for you though most reports of them seem good so the odds appear stacked in your favour

·
Registered
123 Posts
avoid powerflow like the plague!! mild steel = major rust and corrosion after not many miles!!! and for that price you could get a fully custom cat back system made from STAINLESS steel. try ojzengineering.co.uk the owner has had loads of experience and really knows what he's on about.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts