Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 147's front suspension is starting to rattle and clonk a bit. Obviously it needs bushes done. Not sure which ones yet and if it needs them all refreshed or just some of them.

This got me thinking about Powerflexing the whole front suspension. This should improve handling and be alot longer lasting than the OE bushes. My only concern is the ride? Does it become harder or jar more over poor surfaces etc? Are there any other disadvantages.

I see on the Powerflex website they've just updated their 147/156/GT offering to include the front lower shock bush and rear trailing arm front bush.

https://www.powerflex.co.uk/blog/alfa-romeo-147-156-gt

Does this mean I can fit and forget or do I still need to replace balljoints etc?

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Powerflex is a longer lasting but much firmer type of rubber so expect your car to run a bit harder, drone a bit more (road and suspension noise on rough surfaces), jar a bit more but the suspension will react a bit sharper and handling will improve.

Powerflex doesn't replace balljoints though so you will still have to replace those.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like 'upgrades' that add to the durability of my cars. An example would be dual mass flywheel to single mass flywheel conversion or the Q2 diff upgrade on a 916. I was hoping the powerflex bushes was in the same vain but I'm not that keen to sacrifice ride comfort for a bit of extra life.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
If you want to maintain the standard of comfort then nothing will beat OEM and they are actually cheap.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you 'flexed your GTV Ian? I been thinking about doing my Spider purely because I don't plan on ever selling it. My feeling is handling is more important on a sportscar than comfort but the other way round for a daily driver (the 147)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I also need to replace all bushes on my GT hopefully before Zwartkop Trackday, front and rear. You got 4 options
1) OEM, with known long term durability issue
2) Powerflex, harder and most expensive poly option
3) Strongflex, 3 different types of poly bushes, the softer one is similar to OEM and they are cheaper than Powerflex
4)Local produced poly bushes, had a quote from Syd's Suspension which is cheaper than the imports, but also the harder type. I did not ask if they could make softer bushes tho, so maybe worth asking. The bushes get cast into the suspension parts, so its 100% fit even if something is slightly worn but otherwise in very good condition.

Either way, my wallet needs some extra input first :depressed: :cry:...

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I like 'upgrades' that add to the durability of my cars. An example would be dual mass flywheel to single mass flywheel conversion or the Q2 diff upgrade on a 916. I was hoping the powerflex bushes was in the same vain but I'm not that keen to sacrifice ride comfort for a bit of extra life.
Personally i don't feel that moving from a DMF to a SMF is an upgrade. It is a performance upgrade, yes. But i would much rather have my DMF.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Personally i don't feel that moving from a DMF to a SMF is an upgrade. It is a performance upgrade, yes. But i would much rather have my DMF.
On the diesel I'd agree with keeping the DMF. On a 916 V6 i'm leaning towards an SMF conversion with a GTA clutch. I've driven a GTV with a SMF and it was nicer to drive than my own V6. Seemed to rev a bit more keenly and the gearchange and clutch action where a bit nicer too.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Have you 'flexed your GTV Ian? I been thinking about doing my Spider purely because I don't plan on ever selling it. My feeling is handling is more important on a sportscar than comfort but the other way round for a daily driver (the 147)
You know what:

The rear suspension needs to be supple to work. My suspension has probably received it's fair share of mods with Koni's, Eibach and brand new rubbers, joints, arms and spring pan bushes. but it's all been replaced with OEM parts from the factory and cost around R12k in total. There is not a groan, rattle or squeak. The dampers do a nice job of firming things up and the springs make steering and handling sharper. But when pushed, and the rear end starts to work, then you will know how much better the OEM setup is than stiffened poly bushes.

It depends on your driving style. If you ever go to those extremes then leave as standard. If not and you won't miss the rear doing it's thing, then by all means change it. Most people are impressed by the improvement in initial bite and turn-in offered by poly-bushes.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I will not fit polyurethane bushes to a car, just bought a used Discovery 4 that had worn lower wishbone bushes and the seller sent it away to Suspension Solutions to replace with PU bushes, it's destroyed the comfy ride you normally get from that car, I will have it returned to OE bushes at the next service, although they don't even make it to a 100k km's.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
poly bushes are fine for upper wishbones and rear suspension bushes, they don't work on the lowers so they will have to be replaced....about to polybush my uppers, OE (TRW) lasted less than 30k, don't want to do them again in a hurry so the only option if you don't want regular suspension work. admit they are less comfortable but they do improve the handling somewhat, you pays your money and makes your choice..:yes:

when the rears need doing on my car it will be poly all round ,most likely powerflex purple, oh and re the SMF vs DMF on the diesel well on a car like mine with a hybrid turbo and power levels way above factory (220 BHP) its the only option and maintains OE feel much better than the stage 2/3 options which are AWFUL for everyday use...I have a stage one in at present and have reined in the map to 210 for now but am booked in for an smf gta clutch conversion early july...when that is done the map will be pushed to around 230-240..happy days ...!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To be honest the ride is pretty terrible at the moment. The front crashes over ridges and road imperfections. I'm really hoping doing the bushes, wishbones and drop links will noticeably improve the ride. I know the 147 was never know for its ride comfort but right now it's worse than a Ford Bantam

·
Registered
322 Posts
To be honest the ride is pretty terrible at the moment. The front crashes over ridges and road imperfections. I'm really hoping doing the bushes, wishbones and drop links will noticeably improve the ride. I know the 147 was never know for its ride comfort but right now it's worse than a Ford Bantam
I think this will be a pricey exercise.....one that I also have to undertake in the not too distant future. Does anyone know offhand how much the OE bushes for a 147/GT will cost? The Powerflex option is expensive.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Front lower control arms for 156/147/GT are not rebushable AFAIK. There is no OEM replacement. You replace the whole control arm.

Uppers are rebushable with Powerflex or whatever but be warned they squeak horribly when very dusty or wet or a combination of the two.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts