Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rear suspension on the Cup was replaced last week, refurbed pan arms, new KGB shocks and powerflexed on every bush.
Just done 400 miles in two days over various surfaces, motorway good but "bouncy" if surface is poor, A roads are good but "harsh" if surface isn't good. .... In essence unless the surface is smooth it feels too hard. It seemed to get less harsh on the way home.... Or my backside had been numbed into submission... So the question is.... Do the bushes "bed in" or do I have to do something else to soften it up? Bit disappointed tbh... Maybe I am just to old... :confused:
Ta
Vans

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Never had Powerflex fitted to any machine I have had.

I did have solid rubber ones installed in place of the standard voided ones on my Thema 16v Turbo?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Felt very firm on the rear of my TS at first and then either A) I got used to the different ride or B) they bedded in a little. I'm not good enough to tell the difference between the two but am glad I have replaced all the rear with powerflex as it certainly improved the rear end.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
What are KGB shocks like ? - Could be your shocks giving you a hard ride. The powerflex shouldn't determine the "hardness" of the ride Im led to believe but there just meant to be more "accurate"

I have Adjustable Konis shocks on my car and on the hardest setting it is so hard its not driveable. Only place you can drive it to is to the mechanics to soften the setting.

So sounds like it could be your shocks that are not giving you a comfortable ride ?

·
Registered
175 Posts
-if bushes are less compliant, then you can only get more NVH -as I understand things. So it's kind of to be expected. Maybe you could try OE bushes in the damper to lower arm connections? -don't really need PF in there anyway...

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Had mine done but stayed with standard shocks and handling so much improved that you would think it's a different car.
Saw OP whizz his Cup round the track at Bruntingthorpe, if that didn't 'bed it in' then nothing will, he went at a marvellous pace and managed to keep within a very short distance of a fully specced 147 GTA. Briliiant stuff !!!!!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had mine done but stayed with standard shocks and handling so much improved that you would think it's a different car.
Saw OP whizz his Cup round the track at Bruntingthorpe, if that didn't 'bed it in' then nothing will, he went at a marvellous pace and managed to keep within a very short distance of a fully specced 147 GTA. Briliiant stuff !!!!!
As much I would have liked it to be... It wasn't me at Bruntingthorpe :cry:

·
Registered
780 Posts
Agreed its likely the shocks. Powerflexing part of the rear in my TS did make the ride firmer but certainly not bone-jarring, so its more than likely to be the new shocks I would say.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I have all the rear end Powerflexed and KYB shocks.. firm but not too harsh.. I think it's been on for five years.. about 30k miles. as good as the day it was fitted..

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the feedback on my KGB upgrade ;-) Going to take the Spider for a good run in the next few days & compare against the Cup for ride quality (same set up on rear) before I decide what to do next... It will take me a while to get used to the Cup as hard as it is... being the fat old git I am!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts