Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone;

I am thinking of purchasing rear bushes for my Phase 2 , 2.0 GTV.

The question is would you recommend the regular purple rear bushes , or the newly released 'Black' Series? My current setup for is: Monroe Shock Absorbers and Eibach Sport Springs.

PU Buchsen-Set Stabilisator - Hinterachse - Alfa Romeo Shop - Tuning, Styling, Fanartikel und Modellautos

Black Series PU Buchsen-Set Stabi - Hinterachse - Alfa Romeo Shop - Tuning, Styling, Fanartikel und Modellautos

Also should i pick 18mm or 21mm? Thanks for the replies!!

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I've spoken with Powerflex direct & although the purple are still listed for the rear springpans they aren't available anymore & black will be sent. Purple are still available for the 3 bushes in the rear arms but no longer the springpans.

EDIT: I now realise you're after ARB bushes which are still available in purple.

Clive

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Or if getting a garage to do the work or have access to a press get the OE metal bushes from Alfa Workshop. They are more expensive but in my experience will last 100 ,000 miles easily. They may give a slightly harsher ride being metal but we're designed and tested for the 916s complicated rear suspension.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Or if getting a garage to do the work or have access to a press get the OE metal bushes from Alfa Workshop. They are more expensive but in my experience will last 100 ,000 miles easily. They may give a slightly harsher ride being metal but we're designed and tested for the 916s complicated rear suspension.
You still think this even though it has been shown to you that many, so many in fact you believed it to be a standard groove, rear subframes are damaged by the original metal bushes?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Pay attention at the back! It's the rubber ones that do the damage. I have had 4 rear suspensions apart and never seen a failed metal spherical bush.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Are you sure? I thought ( and no doubt you will correct me if I'm wrong - or even if I'm not ?) the V6 only used spherical bushes? However, the wear is still found on V6 subframes.

As for longevity, my 166 spherical bushes wore after about 70k. It was a common problem in the 166.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I've only been breaking TS but of the 4 so far, 2 had spherical which were fine ( although the rubber dust caps were starting to perish), 1 had rubbers which were knackered and working their way towards the subframe. The last had poly bushes which were all distorted. My educated guess would be from the fore & aft load caused by the rear wheel steering, but I obviously can't prove this theory. I will have a look at my own Powerflexed back end to see if there is any of the same. I drive like a nun most of the time but I do like to chuck it into a bend. The greater the speed, the greater the load transfer, the more rear wheel steer effect you get. It's the reason for the ball joint on the upper wishbone - it allows the rear upright to pivot on a vertical axis to steer the rear wheels.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts