Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.8TS
408 Posts
If you are to tune a TS, pick either a 1.8 or a 2.0. Don't bother with the 1.6.
Full race trim, AH Motorsports can pull 250 N/A hp from a 2-litre. But that result is obviously very little street-friendly.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you have a 105hp 1.6 (only available in the 147)
- you can MAYBE add 5-10hp with a chip, proper airfilter and exhaust, and that is it, any more then that will need serious custom ECU/turbo work.

if you have a 120hp 1.6:
- H&S corse (dutch company) had a stage 1 kit which consisted of fitting 2 litre camshafts and a remap/filter, which apparantly gave you ~132hp, but since it is a cam-replacement (so cambelt off etc..), we are talking ~1200 euros IIRC

As @147Alfaguy and @brinker said though, it isnt going to be a lot, and the 1.6 isnt a good starting point. If you have a 1.6 and are intent on keeping it, i'd focus on handling more then power gains. Putting a ~350 euro eibach ARB kit on a bog standard 147/156 is going to improve cornering noticably, and for some B-road hooning is going to be much better then whatever you can do with the same money power-wise.

The best option off course is just buying a faster car, sell the old one, add 1K and buy a 1.8/2.0

·
Registered
30,141 Posts
Does anyone know how much power a 1.6 Ts can take before you have to start changing loads of stuff
Do you mean "how much power it can make before you have to start changing loads of stuff"?
If so, not much.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Autodelta has a turbo kit. It gives 175 hp with only 0,5 bar. It costs a lot (4000 euros) but I think it is the best solution for the 1,6 TS.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Autodelta has a turbo kit. It gives 175 hp with only 0,5 bar. It costs a lot (4000 euros) but I think it is the best solution for the 1,6 TS.
4K though... add that to the resale of a good 1.6 and you can start shopping giuliettas, hell, i bought my GT V6 for 5K

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yes, but be sure that you will spend much more money in dubious solutions, without even come close to this horsepower. 4k may seem a lot of money but it is a ''plug n' play'' solution with everything you need for the modification. You will spend 2,5k or 3 maybe and you will encounter problems you never expected. Trust me. My first modification was on an Opel Manta GT/E back in 1978. There is another solution if you need something strong (god forgive me). Get a Kia Ceed GT (204 bhp) for 26.000 euros, something a new alfa hatchback should already have (with an alfa look and badge ).

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yes, but be sure that you will spend much more money in dubious solutions, without even come close to this horsepower. 4k may seem a lot of money but it is a ''plug n' play'' solution with everything you need for the modification. You will spend 2,5k or 3 maybe and you will encounter problems you never expected. Trust me. My first modification was on an Opel Manta GT/E back in 1978. There is another solution if you need something strong (god forgive me). Get a Kia Ceed GT (204 bhp) for 26.000 euros, something a new alfa hatchback should already have (with an alfa look and badge ).
Oh im sure the Autodelta kit is good, i just think it makes no sense anymore with 147s being as old as they are, you can sell your 147, add the 4K and buy a newer faster car, which is still 100% stock.

Unless you have very specific reasons to stick to a car like that, there is no reason to dump that kind of money into it chasing power. a 170hp giulietta can be had for roughly the same outlay and will be the better and faster car allround.

·
Registered
9,267 Posts
Wonder if OP means "how much will it take before you need new internals or a gearbox?"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts