Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having read the steering rack and allegedly wrong colour power steering fluid threads I am a little nervous about the power steering on my new (to me) 159. I have an Audi A4 Avant on which the power steering is silent and completely vibration free at all times which is why I am questioning the 159.

My 159 has an almost imperceptible shudder through the steering wheel when stationary and I move it gently from side to side. Is this normal?

Also when I move away I can just hear something connected with the power steering, am I paranoid or is there a problem developing.

No rattles, squeaks or anything else untoward, although I do have the red fluid and the French mechanics at the main dealer who have just serviced the car looked at me like I was a bit simple when I asked if red was the right colour before assuring me that it was :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
hi there! thanks for starting this thread as i feel exactly the same. will follow to see what experts have to say!

·
Registered
873 Posts
If the PAS reservoir is at the MAX mark I would not worry unduly. If you are concerned, test drive another car as a comparison. Our TBi has a very slight vibration on first start up but it disappears quickly and, I had assumed, was down to the fluid being circulated.

I've recently had a PAS leak on the 156 V6 and put red fluid in, in fact the motor factor I bought it from suggested using ATF instead!

·
Registered
146 Posts
hi all. i have a red fluid inside. i went to a quest to clean my egr today and i've noticed that level is close to minimum mark.

can anyone tell me what type exactly is the correct green fluid? i will go to the garage asap to get it checked but last time i told the guys fluid should be green, they just gave me 'what the hell do you know about fluids' look.

i would like to tell them - exchange with this type fluid, do not ask why. it is my car and money. so, anyone, what is the name of this green powersteering fluid? thank you!

·
Registered
146 Posts
hi all. i have a red fluid inside. i went to a quest to clean my egr today and i've noticed that level is close to minimum mark.

can anyone tell me what type exactly is the correct green fluid? i will go to the garage asap to get it checked but last time i told the guys fluid should be green, they just gave me 'what the hell do you know about fluids' look.

i would like to tell them - exchange with this type fluid, do not ask why. it is my car and money. so, anyone, what is the name of this green powersteering fluid? thank you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts