Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i had a leak and just replaced one of my pipes near the passenger side front wheel area.... my car is still making a whining noise at idle and it rises when the steering wheel is turned.... the steering is also feels like its fighting agaisnt me at times....

does the system need to be bled? ive got plenty of fluid in there so im copnfused..... any idea what could be the issue?

scott.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Mine was doing this. I literally topped the bottle up with next to no fluid and it dissapered. That's my experience. I to had a slight leak.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i lost a lot of fluid during the pipe change... i was wondering if i needed to do anything extra? the fluid is full and its still doing it.... :(

M

·
0 Posts
You do need to bleed the system......reservoir cap off, then turn the steering from lock to lock four or five times. Hope this sorts the problem.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is this with the wheels in the air or are the ok on the floor? i did this but had the cap on :| n00b

M

·
0 Posts
if it doesnt, you think it will be new pas pump time? are they a diy job?
As I've never had any issues with this on my GTA, I can't (without looking) place the 'exact' location of the pump. If you can get to it, then it can be changed.

I'm no Mr Mechanic BTW, just an enthusiast who doesn't mind getting his hands dirty:lol:

The fact that my car can sit on axle stands as long as required to complete a job helps no ends mind:thumbs:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it helps that im in the same boat, have an a3 sportback and a work van to use when needed....

just an enthusiast too lol :D

suppose theres only one way to find out............

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well the steering is now smooth as, the noise is still there but not as loud..... could this be the pump in need of replacing?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mymatemarmite, like the Mk1 RS pic, spent many years with these great cars wonder how it would feel to drive one now?

M

·
0 Posts
Mymatemarmite, like the Mk1 RS pic, spent many years with these great cars wonder how it would feel to drive one now?
One of the prettiest cars that Ford ever produced, along with the MK3 Cortina:thumbs:

I'd love to own one of these beauties one day.

:Sorry for the off topicness Scotty.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Mine was in yesterday for a service and to get an alloy undertray fitted at the same time. While on the ramp, the tech spotted that the elbow going into the power steering radiator/cooler had been crushed, but it wasn't leaking. He suspects this as the source of noise I'm getting when turning the steering wheel. New part is required but it's only around £30 or so, think it's either 60677166 or 167. Hopefully this will sort my issue.

Also needs a new front cam cover gasket (o ring type) as oil is leaking out it, cheap fix at £25 ish.

Alloy undertray looks good though (off topic).

·
Registered
64 Posts
If its the pipe going to the cooling rad, there could be an issue with seperating the joint from the rad, so you may end up wi.th 2 new pipes and a rad as well. hope not but thought i would just mention

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
If its the pipe going to the cooling rad, there could be an issue with seperating the joint from the rad, so you may end up wi.th 2 new pipes and a rad as well. hope not but thought i would just mention
:lol: Yes, probably !

Thanks for the warning.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Amclean did the zeatek tray go on easy, did u need to cut anything. I got one from alfitsi, but I heard the zeatek is better quality just not maybe best fitting. Think I'll order one for the sport wagon.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well i started the car up today to pull out the garage and inspect where the power steering pump is.......

its silent!! how bizarre! oh well the joys of owning an Alfa! :D

so i removed my leaking rear quarter window and re fitted it! overal a sucessfull day! :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts