Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have my first technical question regarding power steering in 159 SW, it looks too heavy for me, maybe its just me as i drive company VW daily where steering wheel moves like a feather,
I realize that alfa weights alot, but i believe it should operate a bit easier,
When i drive slowly the steering is hard, not too hard but need both hands to move it, also after turn the steering doesn't straighten up when i release the wheel as i expect.
When i bought the car, i sucked out old steering fluid and it was really dark, and refilled with new, i think it was red one, steering improved maybe couple percent, also i heard that the steering is very sensitive, thus why i have no problems when on motorways, goes like sports car.
Please share your thoughts and experiences, is this normal or do i need to look into power steering.
Thx legends.

VJ

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
When i bought the car, i sucked out old steering fluid and it was really dark, and refilled with new, i think it was red one
Should be the green CHF.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi David, on same forum here some people said red, some green,
I will give it a go with green then,
How about hard steering, is that normal in 159 SW do you know, you reckon green fluid would make much difference?
Thanks

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
They should all have had green from the start.
For a while early 159/Brera were wrongly filled with red ATF.
The problem comes when you change it, do you continue putting the wrong red ATF fluid in or do you put the correct green CHF in? Several people have had issues after changing from red ATF to the green CHF, but it is highly likely that those issues were due to running the wrong fluid before.

So unfortunately which ever advice is given, if it fails afterwards the advice will be seen as wrong..!!
:titanic:

No idea about the weight or lack of self-centring though. Weight is subjective though as so many modern cars have very over-assisted steering. My TT has much heavier steering than my 156 had and the 156 wasn't light! My Twingo with its electric steering can be steered with a little finger...

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
The self centering issue I would say best is to get alignment done and have a check for bent or seized components Ball joints etc before going down the fluid route. Partially seized component or something bent will cause both the issues you are having

·
Registered
85 Posts
The steering wheel not centering might be a bad rack and pinion according to this video:

I feel my steering is heavy as well compared to any modern car. It might just be that hydraulic power steering is heavier compared to electric power steering. Maybe other owners can enlighten us with how heavy their steering is.

I heard that one has to be careful while changing fluid because the green fluid is thinner and it might cause oil to leak from smaller cracks compared to the red fluid and might cause failure. I think the general consensus is that if you had red for a long time without problems, then leave it on red.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
I think the general consensus is that if you had red for a long time without problems, then leave it on red.
And if it is so dirty that you can't tell what colour it was to start with?

I agree it isn't an easy decision and is a nightmare for garages :cry:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought the car over a month ago, and couldn't tell what fluid was before, as it was darker than darkest night lol, also heard that green can start leaking, so by following wrong advice went for red, might definitely do alignment as wheels kissed alot of kerbs before.
I will try new fluid and i hope its nothing too serious, already spent 1k on it just to have some peace anf joy ?
Thanks legends

VJ

·
Registered
85 Posts
And if it is so dirty that you can't tell what colour it was to start with?

I agree it isn't an easy decision and is a nightmare for garages :cry:
Then put in green fluid and cross your fingers tightly :rofl:

I once had a engine oil leak (oil drain is more accurate) and so much oil fell onto the belt that the pump wasn't turning anymore. Steering was hard to turn at standstill but wasn't that bad while moving. So I wonder if you have a defective power steering system, can you remove power steering and still have a functioning steering? :rofl: Is the mechanism lubricated by the fluid or something?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Might seem a daft question, but what tyre pressures are you running??

I was told 39/33 F/R by my Alfa guy. Also, I changed the power steering fluid and was told to put red in on older cars. Also, remove the reservoir and then take out and clean the filter. Check for frothing too - could be air getting in somewhere

Plenty of threads in here - and a bit of conflicting advice. Not saying who’s right or wrong, but I’ll typically follow the advice of the guy that fixes them every day - and has done mine since 2013....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure about the tyre preasure atm, will update later,
Also do you guys know whats the easiest way to flush the fluid from the entire system.?
Ive seen some videos how to do it, but these are without starting the engine, and our steering wheel doesn't move without engine running

Thx
VJ

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also do you guys know whats the easiest way to flush the fluid from the entire system.?
Ive seen some videos how to do it, but these are without starting the engine, and our steering wheel doesn't move without engine running
Any suggestions guys, as i really need to sort this out this weekend, dont want to leave it for too long, as it will be costly when it goes wrong, unless its already bad, but i doubt it, as my experience is different from what i see on YT
Thx

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi, i completely flushed my steering system, and filled with green fluid, didn't noticed much difference, well atleast i have clean system now, have to keep an eye for leaks now if any.
Probably will change the steering rack in the future and reservoir for peace of mind.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts