Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning

I thought my days of posting problems with my alfa romeo was over after i sold my 156, guess not :rolleyes:

In the recent hot weather my alfa '07 159 1.9 jtdm has developed a Whirring/Whining noise from the power steering and a bit of a vibration when turning the steering left and right. This only occurs at low speeds and when parking. Otherwise the car is driving normally and there is no lose of power in the steering wheel.

I checked the engine bay and there was a bit of fluid I on the top of the power steering resevoir. I checked the colour and it is the brown colour and not the green colour.

I was under the impression (from other threads) that the problem with the incorrect fludid (Brown Colour) only occurs in the cold wheather and not the hot weather.

Can someone advise me whether this whirring noise may be related to the incorrect fludid being used and if it is possible to drain the system and replace it the green fluid?

If it's not the fluid do people think that the PAS pump etc is shagged?

Thanks for any replies

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that fraser, i'll try to get it to them next week. Anyway of draining this at home using a pump or similar?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hi
My three year old 159 2.2JTS was in at the dealers this week for an MOT and to have the red fluid changed to correct green Tutela GI/R (which also requires a new reservoir.)On collecting the car I was told I needed a new steering pump and that would be ordered to be fitted next week.They will not,apparently,change the fluid "because it tends to be the diesels that need it".It makes me wonder if the wrong fluid wrecked the pump........
Looking on ePER I see a new one is £293.64 or recon. £240.43.I hope it's the former,as my wife's 147 went through two reconditioned aircon compressors in a month before a fourth unit solved the problems we were having.Poor reconditioned units were blamed by the dealer.Good job my 159 is still under warranty!

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Mine still howls on full lock, despite the fluid change. Must get it looked at.

GTleigh's Brera is having a new pump too as it was picked up as noisy at the service.

Cheers,

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since this is the wrong fluid would the viscoity of the liquid has changed over time as it seem to be quite watery when i dipped the resevoir and it was also bubbling quite a lot as if it was boiling. Then again, Maybey i'm just paranoid now.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Had exactly the same with mine. Took it into the garage straight away and they replaced the power steering pump and fluid, all under warranty. It's a known issue and this is the standard fix.

Best get it done ASAP though as if left it can apparently shag the whole power steering system.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought my 159 in england but I live in ireland.

There is a two year pan european warrantly and a 3rd year dealer warranty.

The two year warranty has expired by a few months and I don't have a dealer warranty as it was bought in the uk.

Do I have a case to get this fixed under warranty as it is a known fault?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sorry mate I have no idea :confused: Best bet is to phone ARUK, explain the situation and see what they say.

Be interested to hear how it turns out actually.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got car back from the dealer and they changed the power steering fluid to the GI/R green fluid and also replaced the reservoir which seems to be standard fix. Everything perfect now and no now power steering pump needed.

I can't say how happy i am to have the car back after driving a fiesta for the last week. You'd forget how solid and sturdy the car feels. It really is a class car to drive and it's the only problem i've had with the car so far.

BTW alfa didn't cover replacement as a goodwill gesture and not going to follow it up as it was only a hundred odd quid.

Hope this helps somone as it seems to be a common annoyance.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just got car back from the dealer and they changed the power steering fluid to the GI/R green fluid and also replaced the reservoir which seems to be standard fix. Everything perfect now and no now power steering pump needed.

Hope this helps somone as it seems to be a common annoyance.
I've got exactly the same symptoms and will be getting exactly the same remedy on thursday courtesy of Benfield Alfa in newcastle who were more than helpful when i called them today, hopefully it sorts everything out for me as well.:)

·
Registered
334 Posts
I get quite a bit of a whineing noise when parking these days and having read this I thought I'd better check the colour of my PS fluid but try as I might, I just can't open the bloody bonnet. Grrrrrrr another 50 mile round trip :mad:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts