Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having just spent £1200 geting my 147 2.0 through its MOT 2 weeks ago, it has now developed an awful whine from the power steering. I have just replaced the hoses and the fluid level is fine, though it was bubbling alittle at tick over. It sounds like a belt that is making the noise but Im not to sure. I have to get the timing belt replaced next month and a couple of other things, could this be anything to do with it. Also "MOTOR CONTROL SYSTEM FAIL" flashed up on the same day, anyone have any ideas what this could be, car seems to be running fine.
Im starting to fall out of love with Alfa, I knew I should have used my head and bought a Honda.

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Sounds like a lot of money for MOT work:eek:

Pumps normally only whine if low on fluid, but you say yours is OK....It could be a belt or tensioner issue, I suppose - does the noise increase as you put more load on the pump - ie turning the steering when stationary? - or maybe if you rev the engine. Either way when your cambelt is changed you should change the auxiliary belt and tensioners, but before this you could take the opportunity to remove the auxiliary belt - its an easy job - and check for any roughness as you rotate the steering pump.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank for the advice, sounds like it could just the belt that needs replaced. Not had much of a chance to have a look, had to leave the car at friends house with a broken wiper linkage. Bugger!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts