Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've was reading a old thread here and the topic was power steering and how the reservoir needs changing if there is a whine sound.

Well my 2006 Brera 2.2 has a whining sound if I pull the steering wheel full circle either way. It has the red Dextron III fluid in it which I was told leave that be as changing it to the green spec stuff will damage the power steering.

My reservoir looks exactly the same as this:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ALFA-ROMEO-159-USED-POWER-STEERING-FLUID-BOTTLE-2-2L-JTS-939-2004-11/123517140618?hash=item1cc231fe8a:g:Ql8AAOSwXItb~268

Is there another type of reservoir I should be using? What is the OEM code?

If I get the new reservoir and change the fluid with red Dextron III, should the whining sound go away?
Is this a big issue? It has been making this sound for long while.
Is it easy to change the fluids? I might just do it myself if it's as easy as changing the oil.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Power steering wine

I met a women last night that gargled, then spat out sometime that tasted far worse than that probably would taste.

She gave a new meaning to “Blue nun”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
I met a women last night that gargled, then spat out sometime that tasted far worse than that probably would taste.

She gave a new meaning to “Blue nun”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Im not gonna ask what it was she was spitting out.:angel:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol come on I forgot to type in one h - whine.

Now that we have cleared all the jokes, any ideas about what I should do?

Thanks,

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It whines when I pull the steering wheel full lock so I wouldn't of thought it would be the belt and its bits?

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Mine has a slight groan at full lock only, each direction, which I think it's been doing all its life.

Car came from the factory with the green fluid, which was replaced about a year ago, which was an easy enough job, undo return pipe, and direct into suitable container, turn steering with engine off a few times, refit return line and top off level, start engine and turn lock to lock a few times to dispel any air which might have gotten in.

I've just replaced the high pressure line from the pump to the rack as it was leaking which was a right sod.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Mine used to whine a bit - I did change the fluid (mostly because I was getting slight vibration through the steering at slow speed) - it cured the vibration but didn't affect the whine.

It never caused me any issues in the ~2 years I owned the car, so I pretty much ignored it.

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
Depends on the volume of the noise. All power steering whines slightly if you hold it at full lock due to the load on the pump. But it should be fairly low volume.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll compare it with another car when I have the chance.

As for the fluid I thought if you change the fluids from red to green it can be detrimental to the power steering? I believe my car has always had the red fluid in it.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I'll compare it with another car when I have the chance.

As for the fluid I thought if you change the fluids from red to green it can be detrimental to the power steering? I believe my car has always had the red fluid in it.
I think there's been some posts about how changing to the green can damage the rack seals - I'm not sure I'd risk it personally.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mine whines too at full lock. Been doing it since the day I got it an only at absolute full lock, if I take the pressure of the wheel, the whine goes away. I just avoid putting the steering at full lock if I don't have to.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I think there's been some posts about how changing to the green can damage the rack seals - I'm not sure I'd risk it personally.
I think that’s normally if the rack bar has suffered from some corrosion,changing to the green thinner fluid finishes off the seal that is already damaged and on last legs.
I would pull gator back and if all good change the fluid to green. If rusty/damaged you will be in for a rack at some point anyway.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Mine whines too at full lock. Been doing it since the day I got it an only at absolute full lock, if I take the pressure of the wheel, the whine goes away. I just avoid putting the steering at full lock if I don't have to.
Mine too, ever since I've owned it. I think its normal due to the load on the pump. Mine is absolutely fine otherwise and has green fluid from new....I've also had this whine with other Alfas....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts