Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reversing into a parking space this morning outside my home, this particular manouver required full lock. When I turned the wheel to full lock I heard a 'grinding' sound and I immediately lost all power steering.

By the time I'd parked it I must have had biceps like arnie! I opened the bonnet up and looked underneath and sure enough all of the power steering fluid had leaked out and was flowing down the street.

Does this mean a big spend on fitting a new power steering system
or could it be a short fix by replacing the power steering pipes?

I haven't rung around yet, so I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks
Gutted in Manchester...:cry:

R

·
0 Posts
Don't mean to state the obvious, but it depends from where it is leaking from. A burst hose is relatively good news, burst seals on the steering rack is relatively bad news. You may even have something really obscure such as what happened to my 156 many years ago - the hard steel pipe had not been clipped in back place (by a main dealer fixing a gearbox problem under warranty) and it rubbed against the engine until a hole appeared. On holiday in France. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I've been thinking about trying this 'power steering stop leak' fluid for around a tenner.

Or should I cut straight to the chase and phone the garage?

R

·
0 Posts
Phone the garage. Stop leak will only ever work with small weeping leaks. You sound like you have a gusher. Sorry.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm always nagging the wife for holding the steering on full lock and having the power steering pump howling, top tip to just back it off a bit. I know this won't help you now but maybe it could have?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts