Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all!
it’s not the first time that i post on this, but here it goes. i started to have power steering problems about a year ago, but after a power steering oil change somehow it managed to last this long.
now i think things really got worse. turning the drive wheel at slow speeds is much harder now. revs go deep below 800 rpm (~500 rpm) when turning stopped. sometimes it makes the engine to stop. when giving a full turn, left or right, i permanently hear a “fsssss” kind of sound with a whining.
my question is, should i take the opportunity and ask to change the power steering pump next major revision (timing belt and stuff), or is it too rash?
thanks!

·
Registered
9,592 Posts
Your engine revs shouldn't drop even if the steering pump is putting extra load on it - the idle control should ensure that revs remain in the 800 - 1000 rpm range, so you may have two issues.

However if the pump is putting a really heavy load on the engine, its probably worth changing it. Its not a difficult job, just fiddly with awkward access - so much easier when doing major work, but not essential to wait for a cambelt change - though I'd put a new auxiliary belt and probably tensioner on when you change the pump.....

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've been told I need a new power steering pump, mine still works fine but the bearing has gone on it and sounds awful. Just been looking for one, were the same fitted to the 156/147 twinsparks as well or would i need to look specifically at 145/146s? cheers

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
i had my pump changed didnt take very long and wasnt that big of a job, make sure its not the rack thats fecked though

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your engine revs shouldn't drop even if the steering pump is putting extra load on it - the idle control should ensure that revs remain in the 800 - 1000 rpm range, so you may have two issues.

However if the pump is putting a really heavy load on the engine, its probably worth changing it. Its not a difficult job, just fiddly with awkward access - so much easier when doing major work, but not essential to wait for a cambelt change - though I'd put a new auxiliary belt and probably tensioner on when you change the pump.....
revs return to normal after turning, but if i'm in a rush there's a big probability for the engine to stop. you might be right, the idle control might not be 100% but i think it is not the major issue.

i have some time to think of what to do with the steering pump. maybe i'll just let it die for good. hope it is not the steering rack.

thanks to all!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts