Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My power steering pump is leaking and needs to be changed (156 2.0 TS 1997).
Does that involve removing the timing belt or is it not that complicated?

What is the procedure?

Best regards
Ole W.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Power steering pump runs off aux belt.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
its best to remove the reservoir 1st, then the pipes & then the 3 botls that holds on the pulley.

now there are 3 more bolts that holds the pump in place..... physically getting the pump out iis the real issue

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Loosen the 3 pulley bolts,

Remove the Aux belt,

Remove the engine top cover,

Remove the 2 bolts for the Steering res and move out the way, also remove the 13mm and 17mm bolt/stud and remove the bracket under the res,

Remove the 4 bolts that secure the plastic manifold to the stub and support bracket,

Disconnect the injectors and Variator wiring and fuel line from the rail, Also the breather lines and evap lines from the manifold, ALSO unclip the wiring under the manifold,

Loosen the boot clamps on the 4 inlet boots and remove the plastic manifold,

Now remove the steering pump pulley and remove the 2 pipes,

loosen the 3 mounting bolts and remove the pump.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Loosen the 3 pulley bolts,

Remove the Aux belt,

Remove the engine top cover,

Remove the 2 bolts for the Steering res and move out the way, also remove the 13mm and 17mm bolt/stud and remove the bracket under the res,

Remove the 4 bolts that secure the plastic manifold to the stub and support bracket,

Disconnect the injectors and Variator wiring and fuel line from the rail, Also the breather lines and evap lines from the manifold, ALSO unclip the wiring under the manifold,

Loosen the boot clamps on the 4 inlet boots and remove the plastic manifold,

Now remove the steering pump pulley and remove the 2 pipes,

loosen the 3 mounting bolts and remove the pump.
That sounds a good few hours work to me!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the detailed description. 1/3 of the job I already did to get near the pump to decide if the piping or the pump was leaking.
It is like anything on the 156, you need to remove a lot to get to the parts you need to fix.

This winter I spent six hours changing the nplastic housing around the gearlever...
But the more hours it takes the more you save by doing it yourself :)

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
i replaced a p/s pump on wednesday.

after reading a few different threads i removed the intake piping by undoing the 4 circlips & the 4 bolts holding it in place.

once out of the way the pump had enough room to come up.

I even replace dit TWICE coz the 1st replacment its return pipe was too high & too long getting caught in the intake manifold :(

M

·
0 Posts
Yeah they are a handy enough job but do mind the seal on the high pressure pipe as this can get left behind in the old pump and you may not notice it is missing on you....

·
Registered
5 Posts
thanks guys this is very useful im gunna attempt this this week hope all goes well ill let you know how i get on

1 - 10 of 10 Posts