Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 155 1.8 TS 16v and i have the following problem:
My steering oil started slowly to disappear, so i had it checked at my local mechanic. They changed a broken hose and refilled the oil.
Then i noticed that while driving the wheel makes "power steering oil level low" noises again (only when i turn it to the left). And if i am moving forward and turn left, it also makes popping noises.
Is this due to the air caught inside of the steering system or can this be something else.
As far as i know the steering de-airs itself on its own, but it has been more than a week now and it still makes these noises.
I also checked the steering oil level and it is ok.

What more can i do to speed up this de-airing process?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
altough it should bleed itself there is another way to ensure its all out,

start the engine and rev it up to 2000rpm and hold it there,next turn in the left lock and hold it TIGHT in the lock for about 3 seconds then turn right and do the same, repeat this four or five times.after this there is no way air can still be in the system.. :)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help.
I tried it multiple times and i think there is some improvement, but i can still hear a little whining and sometimes popping when turning left.
I'll try to do it again for a longer duration.

You also forgot to mention that is should have something to clean up the mess afterwards :)
It let enough oil out to fill the top of the reservoir.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a related problem. My power steering pump drive belt whines when cold in the morning, about 1-3 mins will make it stop. Any opinions on a possible fix. I can't even see the pump, just about make out the belts. Will that belt dressing stuff help?

Any opinions welcomed!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think the belt is my problem. Does not sound like belt whine. And i guess the belt would whine if i turned the wheel in any direction. Mine whines only when i turn left.
And it whines when hot or cold. ("not enough hydraulic oil" type whine)

I tried jimybob's de-airing procedure today even more. It threw oil out again, but less than before. But it did not get any better. Maybe air is not my problem... Maybe some kind of dirt?

Since this started to appear after the hose change i'll ring the local garage and tell them that they did not quite fix the problem.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WD40 stops the noise but doesnt stop the slipping, i had a similar problem on a volvo that was making a 'dry pump' noise and i changed the pump.......it didnt work....its was a faulty valve in the rack so i changed it too the noise went away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts