Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in town today when turning at traffic lights noticed a noise so I pulled up in car park and checked power steering fluid and it was on minimum. Then after half hour I went back to car and noticed a trail of fluid and a puddle under car :rolleyes:

So phoned AA and when he arrived he jacked it up and had a good look and asked me to start it so he could see where it was leaking he found the gearbox had been in contact with pipe and split it :rolleyes:

It looks like a new pipe and sorting the clearance on it :mad:

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the one side off near the pump the other side is runs under battery tray which looks easier to get off, mind you maybe battery tray has to come off!

·
0 Posts
I had this problem a while back - had to buy both pipes from Stealers - someone suggested getting it 'braised' but I decided to change it over for peace of mind

·
Registered
583 Posts
I had the same problem on a similar pipe to that, however since I am pretty ghetto I just got some fuel hose that was the same size as the metal pipe and then twisted it on after lubing up the pipe. 2 Jubilee clips later and I have been leak free for 12 months.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was thinking of cutting the part with the hole out of pipe and replacing it with rubber hose which is off a similar section (the bit from heat exchanger to that pipe in picture) but the only thing is it wont have the proper end where the jubilee clips go around and may leak form that bit :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
0 Posts
Sorry - I should have specified, it was more the 'rubber' parts I was meaning, as you mentioned a 'repair' NOT the cr*ppy pipe

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry - I should have specified, it was more the 'rubber' parts I was meaning, as you mentioned a 'repair' NOT the cr*ppy pipe
Ah right thanks anyway but I have a few spare rubber parts but I don't really want to use them because there suppose to be special ends to clamp it with jubilee on the end of pipe if you see what i mean.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Thew new power sterring hoses come with a rubber covering where it joins the brackets on the body work, (mine corroded away at this point) I replaced mine last year From memory it was £70 for the pair from an alfa dealer.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Just bear in mind the high pressures the power steering system must contain. Up to 85 bar on the 164! If the leak is in the lower-pressure cooling pipe, it's not too bad -- but I wouldn't risk a home repair on the main part of the circuit (from the pump to the rack).

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was wrong about it coming from pump, it's from reservoir toward heat exchanger. It's a pretty long pipe.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts