Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've recently discovered I have a power steering leak on my 159 2.2 JTS. The leak seems to be coming from a hose that runs widthways across the car above the gearbox and is in some kind of corrugated foil sleeve. It's definitely power steering related because I'm having to top up the fluid every three days.

Anyone know if this is the high pressure hose? Is it easy enough to replace? I've got a crappy picture of it which isn't that clear but it was the best I could manage with my camera phone.

I'm currently on the red fluid and I've heard changing to green can often cause leaks but if I'm getting this hose replaced is it worth changing over? I could get the new reservoir fitted too if need be. Just worried I'll bugger up the pump or rack if I do.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I have found the component online which is leaking but it's for left hand drive cars. Does anyone know what the part number is for RHD? The one I found is 50507277.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome, that looks like the part. I saw the same model number on Alfa workshop but it's 50 Pounds less and seems to be missing a part of the pipe. I'm guessing that's why it's cheaper.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Awesome, that looks like the part. I saw the same model number on Alfa workshop but it's 50 Pounds less and seems to be missing a part of the pipe. I'm guessing that's why it's cheaper.
Be careful because the 1.9 and 2.4 pipes differ. Even the sellers get confused as the parts catalogues have them listed incorrectly. The 1.9 pipe doesn't have the same connection at the power steering pump and it's a one piece pipe so make sure the one at Alfa workshop is definitely for the 2.4. It's very confusing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the warning Simon. I wasn't aware of that. I have the 2.2 JTS though. I think I'll have to have a snoop about under my car and see if I can figure out which one I have.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for the warning Simon. I wasn't aware of that. I have the 2.2 JTS though. I think I'll have to have a snoop about under my car and see if I can figure out which one I have.
Sorry Gusppetti I've got my wires crossed there. Thought it was a 2.4. It's not so much as underneath The car but where it joins to the power steering pump that differs. Alfa workshop are probably bang on with their part.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sorry Gusppetti I've got my wires crossed there. Thought it was a 2.4. It's not so much as underneath The car but where it joins to the power steering pump that differs. Alfa workshop are probably bang on with their part.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone,

I've recently discovered I have a power steering leak on my 159 2.2 JTS. The leak seems to be coming from a hose that runs widthways across the car above the gearbox and is in some kind of corrugated foil sleeve. It's definitely power steering related because I'm having to top up the fluid every three days.

Anyone know if this is the high pressure hose? Is it easy enough to replace? I've got a crappy picture of it which isn't that clear but it was the best I could manage with my camera phone.

I'm currently on the red fluid and I've heard changing to green can often cause leaks but if I'm getting this hose replaced is it worth changing over? I could get the new reservoir fitted too if need be. Just worried I'll bugger up the pump or rack if I do.

Hello Simon,
do you still have the contact details for the 2.2JTS High pressure hose from pump to steering rack for the LEFT HAND drive ? Please

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone,

Hello Gusppetti

Do you still have the contact details for the seller of the "Pipe. High pressure hose from pump to steering rack"
LEFT HAND drive 2.2JTS ?

kind regards Mark

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone I’ve got a similar issue with my 2.4 JTDM it’s so bad that I can barely turn the wheel.
The mechanic came out today to look at it and found the leak at the joint to the rack.
It’s dark and bloody windy at the moment to get a pic but does anyone know if this could be a simple screw tightening job?
ive bought a new reservoir just in case but I’m hoping a simple fix will sort out t.
Any advice welcome
Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,recently replaced the high pressure hose on my 2.4 Brera as the small flexi joint near the power steering pump had perished and leaked fluid over the alternator.So I’ve had to replace the alternator (horrible job) and replace the high pressure hose which is also a P.I.T.A (tight space) Think I paid around £160 for the HP hose from alfaworkshop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts