Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As above, recently came back from a 3 week holiday to discover the battery was flat. Got it started, been fine the last week. This frosty morning driving to work, 70mph, radio switches itself on and off, followed by a long list of warning lights (abs disabled, hill start disabled, air bad disabled, to name a few), before finally power steering failure and a complete loss of power.

Managed to coast it down and off the road, where it refused to start, seemed like a dead battery.

Fast forward a few hours, expensive new battery installed, wahey! All is well. Car is driving fine, no issue. Back into town, notice a battery symbol pop up on multi function display, and when I go to park up, power steering becomes non existent. Turn it off, comes right back. Driving, it's there. Anything under 3mph, it's off.

Any ideas? Not had any real issues with this car in the 3 years I've had it, and typically, this week is when it's fully paid off ?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Probably worth checking earthing cables and their connections, and maybe also having the alternator checked if earths are fine - the battery symbol indicates a charging problem I believe. I think there's an earth strap that goes to the gearbox that is prone to corroding and causing issues so that'd be the one to check first!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the car has decided to die in exactly the same way, all warning messages before shutting down. This with the new battery as well. So can't be the battery then. Earthing cables, I take it those are the ones running off the negative terminal?

·
Registered
344 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it sorted by a garage I trust, they replaced the alternator as it was dead apparently. Seems to be running fine now, only thing is a "check engine" light has appeared in my dash.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Got it sorted by a garage I trust, they replaced the alternator as it was dead apparently. Seems to be running fine now, only thing is a "check engine" light has appeared in my dash.
Get an OBD2 scanner to check what error code is causing the CEL to display and clear the code. Then see if it reappears.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
You'll need EOBD for an Alfa .. European cars had a slightly different version. OBD2 is US standard .. OBD2 can still give misleading information on an EOBD car. Or get MES (MultiEcuScan)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts