Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 159 back from the garage and noticed a whining noise coming from the steering wheel that wasnt there before it went in. I opened up the bonnet and checked the fluid and its dark brown. Correct me if im wrong but shouldnt it be red. there seems to be spillage of brake fluid in the engine bay. My guess is someone put water in the steering pump fluid reservoir thinking it was for water. My question is how do i get it out and how much can the steering pump fluid reservoir hold from zero. 500ml?

·
Registered
720 Posts
There should be green steering fluid in it, some say change to the green one when you have the red one in it other say dont and keep using the red one.
When you change then the system needs to be flushed.
Brown colour isnt good, maybe its in there from the factory and needs a change.

In the reservoir is a filter build in when it gets cloged it maker a sound to, and the filter can get loose to.
Then you need a new reservoir, and steering fluid in your engine bay could be a leak.
And when the filter is loose you get foam in your reservoir.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G965F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just got my 159 back from the garage and noticed a whining noise coming from the steering wheel that wasnt there before it went in. I opened up the bonnet and checked the fluid and its dark brown. Correct me if im wrong but shouldnt it be red. there seems to be spillage of brake fluid in the engine bay. My guess is someone put water in the steering pump fluid reservoir thinking it was for water. My question is how do i get it out and how much can the steering pump fluid reservoir hold from zero. 500ml?
Hello,

You need a 1l of oil, but oil colour or brand is not make effect on working just proper ATF oil is needed :)

I do a complete research on this strange noise... Do you change something on steering system? if not there can be filter in oil reservoir clogged. You can remove oil from reservoir, remove filter and you can clean filter:

1. Is it sensible to change the oil tank and what is the difference between the oils?

If the oil tank does not leaks and does not have a damaged lid and filter seal, its replacement is pointless.

If a strange noise occurs suddenly, it may be that the filter has clogged. Empty the oil from the reservoir. The filter is located on the bottom of the oil reservoir at the return hose. With longer tongs, you can pull it out and install it back after cleaning.

Dirt is collected on the inside of the filter, you can clean it by washing, using air and other accessories, but be careful not to damage the mesh in the filter itself:

I did not notice that different oil influenced on the noise. I tested the servo system with three oils: Mobil synthetic ATF, Tutela GI / R and cheep ATF DXIII. In testing these three oils, the servo system behaved the same way and there was no difference in sound.

2. There is present a strange noise how can I find out and eliminate it ?

If a strange noise occurs, it is first necessary to determine the cause, whether something on the system has changed or the strange noise appears on its own.

First, check what's going on in the oil bowl itself, you see a oil foaming?

If there oil is foaming means that there is air in the oil. This is always occurs when the oil is changed and some air is present in system. If the oil foaming during operation and has not changed before, the oil level is may low, and the inlet hose to the servo pump at the top of the reservoir pulls air inside or maybe some hose leaks somewhere. This last option is less likely, as otherwise it would have noticed the leak somewhere on the system. There may be a puddle under the car or there is a shortage of oil in the tank.

Oil reservoir is full and do not foaming. Is a clogged filter? Proceed point 1.

Is sound still present after cleaning the filter?
It is necessary to determine whether the vibration damping or any other failure is caused by a fault. This is checked so that the car starts up during operation, the pipes going into and out of the oil tank are gently squeezed.

When squeezing hose, be careful! The hose should not be squeezed for more than a few seconds, as this will risk you to burn the servo pump.

BR

1 - 3 of 3 Posts