Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just bought 2006 159 and very concerned as I noticed some mention of green fluid.
Should mine have the green fluid if so what can I do if it is not .
Is this serious problem or just a remove flush and replace.

·
Registered
30,200 Posts
It should have the green fluid.

If it has the wrong red fluid, opinion varies as to if it is better to leave the wrong fluid in there or replace with the correct stuff.

Many threads on that in the 159/Brera section.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi david good to hear from you been a while.
Thanks for that I have noticed the steering is a little vague in the central position and feels a heavy in comparison to my 156.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right after a little investigation and some searching from "Mr Brera". It would appear that the fluid issue is a temprature related thing.
Cars in countries with average temps lower than -5 C should be running the GREEN fluid . This is due to the viscosity at very low temps.(Thinner viscosity).
The RED fluid is for most countries with temps higher than this as an average not just a cold spell.(Thicker viscosity)
It would appear that the RED fluid will not cause any damage as its cold viscosity in this country will be fine.
The GREEN fluid is much thinner at low temps therefore not putting excess pressure on the seals in the system.
The fluids are not made of anything that will damage seals, it is purely a temprature related viscosity .

I hope this helps to clarify the matter. :thumbu p:

Reactions: maxiboy wales
1 - 4 of 4 Posts