Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I need to replace my power steering fluid.

At the moment it’s clear no colour. Is this normal? Either way it’s getting changed.

Its a 2001 Petrol Manual 2.0L T-Spark 147.

Can anyone recommend which fluid to get and the volume of capacity since it’ll probably be flushed out?

Many many thanks!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Normally not clear. Normally it's red if it uses ATF fluid, which a lot of power steering systems do. I have seen products sold as 'power steering fluid' which are clear so perhaps a previous owner put that in. What makes you think you need to replace it? Typically there is no service interval, although I like to replace it if I can. Usually it gets very dark and smells burnt if it has been in there for a long time.

I think its DEX II. It should have it on that fluid sticker at the front of the engine bay, or in your book. No doubt there will be a specific Fiat approved number to look out for.

I've done two power steering fluid changes on cars. Both used about half a litre. A litre bottle should do you well enough to fill the system. I like to have the front wheels jacked up, to reduce the load on the steering system. I turn the steering wheel from lock to lock to get all the old fluid out the system, it pumps it all out pretty quick tho and it can make a mess depending what hose you decide to undo. I then refill it, and do the same lock to lock about 5 or 6 times until the air is hopefully purged from the system. It's normal for the reservoir to be very foaming during the refill and air purge, and for the power steering pump to make a lot of noise. Obviously it is not doing it any good, but I'm sure they are designed to be able to be run dry for a few minutes, so a few seconds when you are changing it should be fine. Once the bubbles have subsided top up the reservoir to be indicated level, some cars have 4 levels, cold min, cold max, hot min, hot max. Or it is on a dipstick in the filler cap.

Of course there is always a risk, and keep an eye on the fluid for the next week.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Normally not clear. Normally it's red if it uses ATF fluid, which a lot of power steering systems do. I have seen products sold as 'power steering fluid' which are clear so perhaps a previous owner put that in. What makes you think you need to replace it? Typically there is no service interval, although I like to replace it if I can. Usually it gets very dark and smells burnt if it has been in there for a long time.

I think its DEX II. It should have it on that fluid sticker at the front of the engine bay, or in your book. No doubt there will be a specific Fiat approved number to look out for.

I've done two power steering fluid changes on cars. Both used about half a litre. A litre bottle should do you well enough to fill the system. I like to have the front wheels jacked up, to reduce the load on the steering system. I turn the steering wheel from lock to lock to get all the old fluid out the system, it pumps it all out pretty quick tho and it can make a mess depending what hose you decide to undo. I then refill it, and do the same lock to lock about 5 or 6 times until the air is hopefully purged from the system. It's normal for the reservoir to be very foaming during the refill and air purge, and for the power steering pump to make a lot of noise. Obviously it is not doing it any good, but I'm sure they are designed to be able to be run dry for a few minutes, so a few seconds when you are changing it should be fine. Once the bubbles have subsided top up the reservoir to be indicated level, some cars have 4 levels, cold min, cold max, hot min, hot max. Or it is on a dipstick in the filler cap.

Of course there is always a risk, and keep an eye on the fluid for the next week.
Brilliant thank you!
That’s a great step by step.
umm... I may or may not have inadvertently topped up the reservoir with something that wasn’t power steering fluid by sheer not paying attention moment!!
I don’t think it’s been changed anyway in the 12 odd years I’ve had the car so it’s probably prudent to change it anyway.
I could syphon some out, top up, work it in/ drive it syphon out more, top up etc but that’ll only be diluting it.
Can I access a tube keeping the undertray on on a 147? May have to jack up wheels for access anyway seeing as it’s lowered...

I found my manual and it suggests;

Tutela GI/A
ATF DEXRON II D LEV, SAE 10W oil
1.2 litres capacity.

I found some on shop4parts and know they have a discount code for Alfa Owners on the forum somewhere.

ok thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have in the past removed the return hose to the reservoir, sucking out the fluid in the reservoir first will prevent leakage when you remove a hose. You just want to undo a hose that's low pressure. The pumps pump out the fluid quickly so the car only has to run for 10 or so seconds. It can make a mess, especially if you are doing it yourself and have no where to put a suitable container. It can be easy for the fluid to spill onto the belts, which is not ideal so you need to be careful.

If your power steering is not noisy then you probably have not done much damage with the mystery fluid. If the car has had work done on the power steering system int he last 12 years, it probably would have been changed then.

If you bought lots of fluid then you could have the return hose pumping into a container, and keep pouring into the reservoir new fluid until you see the new fluid coming out of the hose and into your catch container. In theory the pump should not run dry that way, but you might need a few friends, one to hold the catch container another to pour in the new fluid and a final to turn lock to lock and turn off the engine once the jobs done. Reconnect hose, start car, turn lock to lock again and top up reservoir to level.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
ATF dextron is standard red auto box fluid, pick up a couple of litres from somewhere local.

to change I usually just remove the lower hose from res and drain in to a container,refit,refill then remove the return line and place in a bottle. Start engine and top fluid up until fresh comes out return as said above. I don’t turn lock to lock though. Once you refit return hose top fluid again start engine then turn lock to lock and recheck the level

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the advice!

I'm ordering Tutel G1/A from Shop4Parts.

Recommended in the manual actually and a good price.
Plus I have the discount code too. (PM me if you want the code)
Also after browsing their Bargain Basement they have a lot of random stuff going for over 80% off including a rear OEM 147 bumper for £30! I'd have got it but it's Mk2 one.

I'm getting Polybushes fitted at the front Anti-Roll Bar soon and the subframe painted (lots of surface rust) so I might just get my mechanic to do it. Car is lowered so access not ideal plus driveway is untreated brick and on a slope...

Ok cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts