Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked fluid today 1st time ever to be honest and found level on min.

Checked the car when was cold, is the correct way once the car has been driven ? and warm

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
As long as it stays above min when cold and below max when hot you should be fine. If you wish to top it up, do so when it's hot, as powersteering fluid expands quite a lot when it's hot. Powersteering fluid is also know as automatic transmision oil, or ATF for short, in case you want to go pick some up at the local filling station.

Cheers
-- Hoygs

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hoygaard said:
As long as it stays above min when cold and below max when hot you should be fine. If you wish to top it up, do so when it's hot, as powersteering fluid expands quite a lot when it's hot. Powersteering fluid is also know as automatic transmision oil, or ATF for short, in case you want to go pick some up at the local filling station.

Cheers
-- Hoygs

Thanks for the info Hoy any special brand of AFT I should use in case I need a top up ?

·
Registered
9,842 Posts
Eehhhhrrr......power steering fluid? Come again? :rolleyes: ;)

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
If you want to give it the best possible fluid, use Selenia CS Selespeed fluid, it's a special formulated ATF oil. I wonder why Alfa still uses the old ATF-II fluid then ;)

Anyway. Just buy a reputable brand name and make sure its ATF-II compliant.

@ Mel; :eek: :cheese: you are kidding me right ?

·
Registered
9,842 Posts
Hoygaard said:
@ Mel; :eek: :cheese: you are kidding me right ?
Lars, good to 'see' you around ;) With my remark I meant that I actually have never checked my power steering fluid level. I know I need something like a power steering fluid to have my power steering working. However, I'm the kind of guy to top my power steering fluid........with water :rolleyes:. So I don't touch the damn thing untill my car gets serviced. I love the leasing-feeling :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
I believe Dexron II in the early ones and Dexron III in the new ones. in any case, consult you owners handbook, it is in there. Your local Selenia supplier has the correct oil for your car.

S

·
0 Posts
Or if you open the bonnet, it's written right there in front of the top of the radiator, along with details of the required gearbox and engine oil ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you pour the power steering fluid directly in the container where it indicates the min/max level?? or is there somewhere else that you do?

P

·
0 Posts
Yes you remove the filler cap and top up the reservoir. Don't forget to check the level again. If it drops you probably have a leak. Pipes near the radiator at the front of the car have a tendancy to leak.

S

·
0 Posts
My manual says that you need

Tutela GI-A (G.M. Dexron II) for power steering fluid.

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Checked mine at the weekend as part of the MOT preps. The fluid looks dark and filthy!! I'm convinced this is part of the reason the rack sometimes hesitates first thing ...

Anyone have a good way to replace all the fluid ... ie how to drain it down completely and refill??

I'd rather not have to undo any pipes, etc, as they are going to be in the most awkward place imaginable! Thanks!

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
I had a power stearing leak two months ago, the pipes on the side of front right weel were dripping. Check the pipes near the coil behind front right indicator.

I used Castrol TQD automatic transmission fluid.

·
Registered
472 Posts
any Dexron II ATF will do, its not fussed.

to "flush" the power steering fluid, suck out the fluid in the container and replace with fresh fluid. then turn ur steering lock-to-lock a few times and repeat the suck and replace. repeat a few times until the fluid is relative clean.

don't use any of the flushing chemicals or seal conditioners for power steering systems. the last time i did that, the rack leaked after 2 weeks.

and yes, the fluid should be at min when cold and max when hot.

redd

T

·
0 Posts
Follow the two 'silver' pipes back from the coil at the front of the engine bay (O/S on RH drive). If you have a leak, you'll probably notice 'dampness' in the area below where they bend at the rear of the engine bay. An Alfa technician told me it's common that they start to leak through pin-holes there due to the spongy clamping material absorbing cr*p and dampness and causing the pipes to rot. Also check underneath that area of the car - you'll probably see damp around the CV joint and the suspension assembly.

Keep the reservoir topped up religiously until it's fixed or you'll hear the dreaded 'groaning' noise and start damaging the power steering components (Pump, mainly).

I should know - mine's going in to have them fixed under warranty next week!

·
Registered
30,198 Posts
I always check mine cold and it is always on the "Max" mark.

Reactions: sneaker

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Redd said:
any Dexron II ATF will do, its not fussed.

to "flush" the power steering fluid, suck out the fluid in the container and replace with fresh fluid. then turn ur steering lock-to-lock a few times and repeat the suck and replace. repeat a few times until the fluid is relative clean.

don't use any of the flushing chemicals or seal conditioners for power steering systems. the last time i did that, the rack leaked after 2 weeks.

and yes, the fluid should be at min when cold and max when hot.

redd
Does this actually flush all the fluid? I didn't think that the fluid circulated through the reservoir? Just like flushing brake fluid, I thought you needed to drain the fluid out at the rack??

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
timmywimmybumkins said:
Follow the two 'silver' pipes back from the coil at the front of the engine bay (O/S on RH drive). If you have a leak, you'll probably notice 'dampness' in the area below where they bend at the rear of the engine bay. An Alfa technician told me it's common that they start to leak through pin-holes there due to the spongy clamping material absorbing cr*p and dampness and causing the pipes to rot.
My pipes were leaking on the place where they connect to the flexible tubes leading to the coil. I was told it is common fault as well. My technician told me that the 'silver' metal ones were known to do this and there is new plastic version. My new tubes are black plastic, they shouldnt be so fragile as metal ones.

·
Registered
472 Posts
mave, not it doesnt flush all the fluid. but power steering systems are fairly low tech so they dont need fresh fluid all the time like gearboxes. if it aint broke, don't mess with it.

redd

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Redd said:
mave, not it doesnt flush all the fluid. but power steering systems are fairly low tech so they dont need fresh fluid all the time like gearboxes. if it aint broke, don't mess with it.

redd
Fair enough, but I think that going to the bother of sucking out old fluid and replacing it with fresh is a bit of a waste of time as the fresh fluid is never going to get to the pump. Either bite the bullet and do it properly, or just top it up and be done :cool:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts