Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading through a few bits of info on the 159, it appears that there was an issue about steering fluids??. Green better than red?. Just checked my new to me 159 Ti and it is red. Should it be green then or not?. If so is it advisable to replace it or can it cause issues?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Reading through a few bits of info on the 159, it appears that there was an issue about steering fluids??. Green better than red?. Just checked my new to me 159 Ti and it is red. Should it be green then or not?. If so is it advisable to replace it or can it cause issues?
Interested in this also as mine is red at the moment, also is it easy to change or should it be left to a garage and if so what should be the ball park figure for this work?

·
Registered
7,490 Posts
If it's red, leave it.
It should be green, but if there's no obvious problems leave well alone.
Changing it now could result in the need for a new rack.

·
Registered
30,201 Posts
If it's red, leave it.
It should be green, but if there's no obvious problems leave well alone.
Changing it now could result in the need for a new rack.
Yes it is a difficult one.
Whatever you decide to do could be the wrong way to go!!
Staying with the red could lead to problems later because it is the wrong fluid.
Changing to green so late in the car's life could lead to problems because it has become used to the thicker red fluid.
:boxedin:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, will be leaving it alone. No noise no symptoms , if it aint broke don't fix it etc etc.

Reactions: lussoman

·
Registered
542 Posts
Thanks for the advise, the only thing that I have noticed is the pump seems a bit noisy (not much but a little more than I'm used too) when reaching the end stops, could be because many of my previous cars have all had electronic power steering, but would this be something to worry about?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Check your reservoir whilst running & see if the fluid is running smoothly or frothing.
The noise could be air bubbles in the system as some of the early cars had a faulty valve where the fluid returns to the reservoir that put air into the thicker red fluid.
There is a new updated / modified reservoir available & it's easy to change.
You could change the reservoir & it may sort out the noise problem - air bubbles will cause premature wear to the pump.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Mine has become a fair bit noisier in the last two months... I've ordered a new reservoir and green Tutela GI/R fluid. Hope it's not too late or will cause other problems (steering rack or pump), as some of you guys are mentioning above?
Mine is definitely pushing red fluid out through the overflow - so it is frothing and it is noisy - can't think of another solution or what else one would do to fix it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
...sure to be from the restrictive return in the current reservoir-the noise will be from the air bubbles in suspension in the thicker red fluid.

·
Registered
229 Posts
New reservoir and green Tutela GI/R fluid installed... Mmm.. Not as quiet as I had hoped - maybe a new pump is in my future..
It is however somewhat smoother and the strange resistance/vibration feedback I was getting through the steering is gone at least..
Money well spent? not so much..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello,

I am also what to change/refresh the power staring fluid, i have 159 2.2 JTS petrol 2011, the color of the fluid is red, not green.

For now i dont hear any special noises, but still i want to refresh the fluid.

In the owners book i see that the fluid for the power staring is Tutle GI/E, what should i do? red or green? (i dont have any problem, i think, with the staring)

* i want to refresh the fluid not change completely.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
It was only the early cars that were wrongly filked with red fluid from new, your 2011 would of had the green fluid from new and has been filled with red fluid since.
The issue with the red is that it is thicker than the green especially when cold and can cause a noise and judder at low engine speeds.
As you are in Israel I dont expect it gets very cold, ie below freezing so personally I would still change the fluid but stick with the red fluid, and its much more readily available.

Just reread your post, maybe the Israel spec cars had red fluid all the way through production as the Gi/e is red, its the Gi/r that is green.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks, i will refresh the fluid with the red color (today iv'e checked the color and i saw a little bit of "red dark" color)

Time to change :)

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
If you use the red fluid it must be the ATF III not the II this is due to the viscosity of the fluid .
I think that alot of people have asumed it is the standard ATF II . This is too thick.
If you read the hand book and look at the comments from various posts on here ,it would seem that the cars came from the factory with both fluids.
The green fluid is the Tutella fluid but the hand book spec is this or ATF III as a min requirement.

The green fluid has a much thinner viscosity specificly to tollerate very low temp at first start as the red fluid is slightly thicker . The green fluid was originally specific to cold climate where the average temp was regularly below
5 c ,hence needing a thinner fluid to avoid over pressure in the system.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts