Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I noticed earlier this week that the 166 was making strange noises on full lock as Mrs G was turning the car round before heading off to work.

Sure enough, I checked the fluid level today and it is very low (only just reaching the bottom of the dipstick). So I guess I have a leak...

Some questions for you guys:

Firstly, the manual says it needs Dexron II fluid and specifies Tutela GI/A. But will any Dexron II fluid be OK?

Secondly, i’ll get the car up in the air tomorrow to look for the leak. What are the likely candidates?

Thirdly, if the leak is small, are the stop leak products worth trying (eg Wynns, available from Halfords)?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Give each of the rack gaiters a squeeze and see if one of them has fluid collecting in it. If so, fluid is getting past the seal in that end of the rack. The good news, is that they can weep slightly for years without it becoming a major issue. Mine has done it for at least the last 8 years! I usually empty the gaiter each year when I service it and top up. Sooner or later, I'll have to bite the bullet and rebuild the rack, but I'm going to wait for it to get a bit worse before I do. The clutch isn't long for this world, so I might just take the engine and box out and do a few other jobs while I'm at it - the rack would be an ideal candidate for that.

Yes, any Dexron II will be fine.

Haven't tried any of the various magic potions myself. I prefer to just monitor the leak and put fresh fluid in. We're only talking about half a cupful per year.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
It was a pinhole in the cooler for mine a couple of years ago where the aluminium pipe was held on by a steel clip.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've only had time to top up the fluid so far. There is no obvious sign of a leak - although the aircon compressor (which sits below the power steering pump) has oil dripping off it - despite the fact it was replaced about 6 months ago. I'll take a closer look over the weekend.

Steering is back to its usual feel now, with no funny noises.

Reactions: Mufasa
1 - 5 of 5 Posts