Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
30,007 Posts
... Does anyone know whether the colour difference is constant across brands? Or to put it another way a certain spec is always green across different makes. Eg a tutela GI/R equivalent specification but under another brand like Castrol, Gulf, Millers, Shell?
The main point is that is is a Hydraulic fluid, NOT an ATF.

The Millers CHF is thicker, haven't found anything from Castrol, Gulf or Shell yet.

Closest I've found so far is Pentosin CHF 11S:
http://www.pentosin.net/specsheets/Pentosin_CHF_11S.pdf

For comparison, GI/R details here:
http://flcf.onion.it/commonfile/eng/pdf/1442_stec_ENG.pdf

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies, if somewhat condescending in places.

Red has lower viscosity i.e. it does not flow as readily as 'green' in colder temperatures. Given the cold winters we've experienced in the last few years having red in the system isn't going to help.
I see where we're coming from now but this appears to be backwards. The green is thinner, so it's the red that has a higher viscosity.

The rack failure on mine doesn't appear to be from fluid issues, waiting for the stripdown report.

·
Registered
7,453 Posts
Thanks for the replies, if somewhat condescending in places.

I see where we're coming from now but this appears to be backwards. The green is thinner, so it's the red that has a higher viscosity.

The rack failure on mine doesn't appear to be from fluid issues, waiting for the stripdown report.
It probably is backwards, forwards or sideways:lol:

Fact is the GI/R green is the correct fluid your steering rack, period.

·
Registered
253 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Here we go again. Together with all the other threads, I have had the following confirmed (unofficially) by an Alfa dealer (unofficial because Alfa Romeo will never officially admit the problem thereby avoiding liability).

1) On the early 159 (up to which date is not known) the wrong GI/E 'red' fluid was put in the steering reservoir at the factory.
2) Stickers under the bonnet though usually indicate the correct GI/R ('green') fluid.
3) The handbook started off saying the 'red' fluid but changed later to the 'green' fluid.
4) There is also an issue with the reservoir on the early cars - this has been modified on later cars and a revised reservoir should be fitted when changing the fluid at the same time.

Why the 'green' fluid? It has a higher viscosity rating therefore flows better within the system, particuarly in cold weather.

Every year, as cold weather commences, watch the thread and post count increase on this topic in this forum.
Spot on. As is David_C.

Affects Breras too as mine exactly matches the description above.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
If the rack refurbers info is correct, it looks a bit like we're being asked to use the wrong fluid to hide an incorrectly specced pump.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
My steering makes a little noise - is this normal ? / are some people's totally silent?

(2009 build)
Mine, 2007, is completely silent, even going on full lock, it was before I changed from red to green though too. I get a very slight vibration if I turn the steering wheel an inch or so each way whilst stationary though.

I hope that's not the kiss of death....

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Mine, 2007, is completely silent, even going on full lock, it was before I changed from red to green though too. I get a very slight vibration if I turn the steering wheel an inch or so each way whilst stationary though.

I hope that's not the kiss of death....
Even if it is, sounds like yours has a lot more life left than mine!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've got a 2008 berea with red fluid do i need a new reservoir? if so is there a visual difference or a part number for the new one

thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
sorry about arising the tread. I have 2008 159.jtdm and my fluid's colour is red. It's on 134k kms. While turning the wheels on neutral, there is a low racking noise.Should i swap fluid with a green one? and is the only tutela gr\I suitable fluid for 159? It's hard to find the green fluid in Turkey.I can find m6162 febi green fluid, is it suitable?

·
Registered
395 Posts
sorry about arising the tread. I have 2008 159.jtdm and my fluid's colour is red. It's on 134k kms. While turning the wheels on neutral, there is a low racking noise.Should i swap fluid with a green one? and is the only tutela gr\I suitable fluid for 159? It's hard to find the green fluid in Turkey.I can find m6162 febi green fluid, is it suitable?
At that mileage changing the fluid will cause you a lot of problems - racks are known to leak badly the moment you change the fluid to the correct one, you are better off leaving it as it is and then dealing with it when it fails completely (which might not happen).

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
is this problem due to a problem with the power steering reservoir allowing bubbles into the fluid, which then cause wear in the rack ?

·
Registered
436 Posts
is this problem due to a problem with the power steering reservoir allowing bubbles into the fluid, which then cause wear in the rack ?
Yes, it is - and it's not limited to specific climates; In a nutshell, the red fluid is prone to cavitation and foaming when operating at around +5C and below, which leads the whole pump/rack to essentially work dry. It is particularly bad in the 1.9 JTDm versions, as a defective reservoir tank exacerbated the issue.

Now as Jacekowski said, there is a catch - on some older cars, changing the fluid led to an almost immediate failure of the rack, where it previously had no issues whatsoever.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts