Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I had slight noise from power steering with i topped up the fluids
and all seemed fine for a month or so. Last night when i got home the steering has gone so wrong!! massive noise like a washing machine when i turn the steering wheel. lots of vibration and really hard to turn steering wheel. I opened the fluid cap and turned the wheel once, then shot around the front of the car to check what has happened to the fluid..it's foaming and expanding out of the pot!
Not sure if i can even get the car to a garage.
Just really want to know if it could be anything other than the power steering pump? i dont think so i could be..i think i have an expensive fix this time!
Any feedback appreciated.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Sounds like you have a leak or something and there is air in the pump

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fluid level is fine. but what i have done is changed it again as the pump may of boiled the fluid now..so i changed it..started the car up and the new fluid turned to froth straight away...it must be a air leak. bought another pump cheap just in case it is that and booked my car into the garage..just hope it will get there without froth bursting out every where lol. lucky garage is really close to where i live. 6 weeks with my Alfa a couple of problems but i still love my car lol! and the help out there is truely fantastic. but i think this is a problem for mr garage man! but if it's not the pump..then i have one for sale i will keep it for anyone else.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Have you tried turning the wheel from lock to lock without the engine on? If there is air in the system the pump will just churn it all up and you wont get the air out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
When refilling the p/s resevoir it's always good practise to jack the front of the car up and support it safely to turn the steering wheel lock to lock a few times with no pressure on the wheels. With the p/s resevoir cap off! This usually helps the pump self bleed the system!

Though if there is air in there in the first place before you topped up the fluid there may well be a leak, have you checked the pipes for splits or a bad join??

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pick my car up from the garage tomorrow so i will report my findings and post for people with any problems like mine. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts