Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suffering from power loss. The car just doesnt get and go from a stoplight. It climbs in revs quickly but doesnt accelerate as it has. I cant even hear the turbo, even though it whistled a lot half a year ago and was pretty loud.

Maf? Clogged cat? Something else?

No error codes, or engine check light.

Turbo isnt dead, I can hear it but not as loud, and there doesnt seem to be the surge of power when it kicks in. It used to glue me to the seat.

Filters changed. Car uses some oil > cca 1l over 1000 km.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Suffering from power loss. The car just doesnt get and go from a stoplight. It climbs in revs quickly but doesnt accelerate as it has. I cant even hear the turbo, even though it whistled a lot half a year ago and was pretty loud.

Maf? Clogged cat? Something else?

No error codes, or engine check light.

Turbo isnt dead, I can hear it but not as loud, and there doesnt seem to be the surge of power when it kicks in. It used to glue me to the seat.

Filters changed. Car uses some oil > cca 1l over 1000 km.
On what car are we talking?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Sorry - Just seen you have a 147 in the garage, I assume this is the problem car?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you checked your airfilter as I had a similar issue lately. I replaced my air filter and zooooooom
Yep, changed in March.

That tends to say the clutch is slipping ... otherwise it makes no sense.
Hope you're joking. That reminds me, I took a weekend to the countryside last month and there was a pretty big hill with a speedbump in the middle. I struggled climbing the hill and had the car stall on me three times. Barely made it on the second try with the handbrake. (just so there's no confusion, last two tries were with the handbrake on, the first time I tried to get going by holding the bite point)

Also, there seems to be some sort of a lag. When I "kick" the accelerator pedal the car takes about half a second to a second before it responds.

What do you reckon is the issue with the clutch? Hopefully not the flywheel? Does the 8v have a DMF?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
If the engine revs increase, but the roadspeed doesn't, the clutch is slipping. Normally that means it's worn out and needs replacing.

On the other hand, your 'lag' sounds more like turbo actuation is faulty so it's simply not boosting properly. Check for black smoke out the rear that shows insufficient air. That will either be the slim 3mm ID silicone vacuum pipe to the turbo actuator (look for cracks, holes or leaks - they are common), the actuator itself, the solenoid that controls the vacuum, or sticking turbo vanes staying in the closed position.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the engine revs increase, but the roadspeed doesn't, the clutch is slipping. Normally that means it's worn out and needs replacing.

On the other hand, your 'lag' sounds more like turbo actuation is faulty so it's simply not boosting properly. Check for black smoke out the rear that shows insufficient air. That will either be the slim 3mm ID silicone vacuum pipe to the turbo actuator (look for cracks, holes or leaks - they are common), the actuator itself, the solenoid that controls the vacuum, or sticking turbo vanes staying in the closed position.
Will arrange with my mechanic to check that. Do you reckon its expensive to fix? (Over 100£)?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts