Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, more help desperately required please from the more knowledgeable...

driving home tonight all was well...then suddenly no power and no revs...pulled into the services and had a look...nothing obvious...

plugged in and had error code P010F. Have done a search and its do to with the MAF sensor...cleared the fault and ...

still very sluggish but at least it revved, but with loads of flat spots...

in 6th from 60mph there is nothing...then power and boost pressure...then nothing...then power again...then nothing...etc etc till it gets up to speed...

on de-acceleration it throws up the same code...

google says it can be to do with the dpf and egr but car has had a remap and removal of them...and the MAF was new in the summer following the cam belt change.

anyone else experienced this kind of fault...and what ended up being the culprit.

cheers guys.

yorkierm

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Unplug the MAF and see if it runs better, aside from rough idle, which should be expected. If so, replace the MAF. If your new one was an aftermarket non-Bosch MAF, they are often short life cr*p.

You should probably also check the swirl flap actuator bar is still in place. It's situated on top of the inlet manifold, and tends to fall off, leaving the flaps in random positions. When closed they block half the inlet ports on each cylinder, which is where they are supposed to be at idle, but they're supposed to open fully by ~2k rpm else the engine cannot breathe.

Otherwise, especially if chucking out black smoke, check the top and bottom boost hoses for splits and leaks, and the 3mm ID hose between the turbo solenoid and vacuum actuator on the turbo. [Edit: oh, and the EGR may need cleaning, if choked with sooty tar].

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
The map sensor in the back of the inlet manifold can block up with crud so is worth removing it and gently cleaning it, if it is blocked solid it is sure sign that the inlet is fill of oily carbon, are you sure that the egr has been deleted, its not unheard of for some companies offereing ghe cheaper remamps not to delete them. If you have multi scan of similar the egr should show as 4% open if it has been deleted.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers for the replies guys.

egr is definatly deleted, its been phsyically blocked since the summer too. that as well as the swirl flaps have been removed and welded up so they aren't to blame...

will take for a spin with the MAF disconnected and see what happens...it was an aftermarket one so could be naff...

the power surges are weird...its as if the turbo is on...then off...then on etc...

too dark to see any smoke so will check in the morning...

just wondered if the turbo could be on its way out or something...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
took it for a drive with the MAF disconnected and ran much better. still a bit of hesitation and power drop off (when viewing the turbo pressure gauge it drops a few bars then rises again when accelerating in all gears)

re-connected the MAF and dismal again. I guess that another new MAF is in order.

Also just found a thread on here about cleaning the VNT turbo with oven cleaner...think i might give that a try too...

out of curiosity...if it runs ok with out the MAF connected...why do we need it??? will i cause damage to anything else if i drive steadily without it on till i can afford a new one?

·
Registered
701 Posts
took it for a drive with the MAF disconnected and ran much better. still a bit of hesitation and power drop off (when viewing the turbo pressure gauge it drops a few bars then rises again when accelerating in all gears)

re-connected the MAF and dismal again. I guess that another new MAF is in order.

Also just found a thread on here about cleaning the VNT turbo with oven cleaner...think i might give that a try too...

out of curiosity...if it runs ok with out the MAF connected...why do we need it??? will i cause damage to anything else if i drive steadily without it on till i can afford a new one?
Nothing will happend if you disconnect it, beside your economy will not be as good as it would be with a working MAF.

Automobilio elektros dali? parduotuv? I bought mine here 1 month ago for 104 Euro, P&P incl. With 5 working days delivery.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
When you disconnect the MAF the car will run a default map, so it will just guess the correct amount of fuel to inject and turbo pressure to select, so fuel consumption and performance will not be optimum (along with more smoke).
It's really a get you home option.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Oven cleaner can only work if what's causing the vanes to stick in the turbo is carbon. On my car it was surface rust on the inside of the turbo casing, probably because the car had stood for a few months before I bought it. Dismantling and emery paper required. I think this is the more common cause.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Genuine MAF sensor showed up yesterday morning (Cheers for the heads up CHIPMIK)...

So this morning...Stripped out enough to get to the exhaust downpipe and turbo, and attempted the Mr Muscle clean as is outlined on here in other threads.

As usual takes things like heat shields were a pain in the neck, and a few non essential sheered bolts which I can sort at a later date...(under tray is now held up in a few places with rather large cable ties lol)

Got the downpipe over relatively easily...and with the aid of a straw worked the foaming mr muscle into the turbo...

The little lever that operates the VNT vanes was initially quite stiff hardly moving at all...but within about an hour it was nice and free...pressing it down with a screw driver moved about 10mm and sprung straight back

No split hoses that I could find...gave the air filter a good clean out

Reassembled and fitted new MAP and MAF...took for a little spin (about 20 mins after letting it warm up)

no end better. no more silly squealing noise coming from the engine bay...good pick up again...no more hesitation and drop of boost...and the guage seems to go up a tiny bit more too...

Gotta get it on the motorway to give it a proper run but its looking like its fixed it (for now)

so

Mr Muscle, at a cost of £3...and about 3 and a half hours of my time...a winner. Highly recommended to everyone.

Yorkierm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.