Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Been loving my 2001 2.5 v6 and was chuffed when I got it through MOT yesterday, But....

Since getter her home it would seem its developed a power loss when revved above 4k or when I put my foot to the floor. I have had no engine management lights come on and she behaves as normal when driven through town and even on the open road until you get above 4k rpm or you boot it, which makes her perfectly drivable but not exactly thrilling. To get her through the MOT I needed work done on headlight adjustment, having no time myself the guys at the local garage did it and I think it involved maybe taking out the whole headlight units. Before this work was done she was running great - anyone with a v6 will know the real power kicks in at 4k.

Now then - I am thinking that a vacuum hose has been moved, dislodged or maybe holed giving me this new problem. However, I am also mindful that it could be something others have had probs with such as faulty accelerator links or other wiring troub. Or is there anything specific that kicks in on the v6 at 4k rpm??

Any thoughts very welcome before I spend the whole weekend fudging around with rubber pipes looking for leaks/breaks.

Thank you please

Scrote AKA Jamie

·
Registered
30,092 Posts
MAF Sensor is my first thought too.
When they fail they won't rev properly under load.

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
Also the ribbed ruber pipe directly after the throttle body often developes tears/leaks, sometimes difficult to see

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well - it seems to be sorted. I had a fudge about looking for loose wires or holes in pipes and found nothing. Having resigned myself to an expensive repair I drove it around changing before 4k and only using very light accelerator pedal movements. Then it just seemed to gradually improve. I watched the MOT when it was done and the guy had it ticking over for long periods - I'm wondering if he accidentally did a ECU re-set?

Anyway - I am currently a happy Alfa owner again!!

·
Registered
658 Posts
far out i havent revved mine past 2700rpm, i dont see the point. No wonder Alfas are regarded as unreliable, everybody thrashes them.

I used to rev a Toyota Corolla like that, it was a 2005 model, i went through 2 clucthes, 2 engine mounts, Hadgasket, coolant bottle, brake master cylinder, ABS errors, catalyic converter, 2 ball joints, Rear Shocks, front rotors, emmision errors......in 11 months, Driving over 4000rpm more than 5 times each trip will make any car unreliable.

Just kidding mate drive how you like :)

·
Registered
30,092 Posts
far out i havent revved mine past 2700rpm, i dont see the point. No wonder Alfas are regarded as unreliable, everybody thrashes them.
Going over 2700RPM isn't "thrashing them"...!

I know you are probably used to lazy Aus v8s, but you really need to use more.
You'll never know when your MAF sensor has failed, or if your cam sensor has failed (3000rpm limit) or if your mechanic has got the cam timing wrong.

It also means you'll never get above 59 MPH...

·
Registered
658 Posts
Lazy Aus straight 6 actually, so whats the normal gear change rpm on these? 3500? Trying not to waste fuel as well.

·
Registered
30,092 Posts
Lazy Aus straight 6 actually, so whats the normal gear change rpm on these? 3500? Trying not to waste fuel as well.
You've picked the wrong car if you are trying to save fuel....
My 3.2v6 TT is using the same (possibly less) than my 2.0TS did...!!

The TS have a wide usable rev range, so the change point depends on what you want from it... it sounds like you don't want much from it, so carry on changing at idle...!!

I used the whole rev range for 14-years and never had an issue with the engine.
(other than when the MAF sensor failed, but that wasn't caused by using too many revs...)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Well i dont drive much so a little bit more on fuel wont matter i guess. I will start chainging at 3500rpm then. I noticed the selespeed i had in city mode changed early though. Clutch rod was 28.5mm

On another note David, how to remove fuel tank from 156 model, from under the car or inside?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 2.5 v6 has some grunt upto 4k, then the power really kicks in and it revs round to 7k, changing gear at around 6.5k plus keeps it in the serious power. I love it!! But don't enjoy the fuel bill too much............

·
Registered
658 Posts
As long as your having fun, i prefer to cruise like an old lady, keep to the slowest lanes and never put music on so i can hear the Alfa 147 purrrrr

·
Registered
9,218 Posts
Well i dont drive much so a little bit more on fuel wont matter i guess. I will start chainging at 3500rpm then. I noticed the selespeed i had in city mode changed early though. Clutch rod was 28.5mm
Most multi-valve engines need to be revved higher to get the best out of them. First 16v I drive was a Golf GTi .. wasn't impressed. Then the driver suggested I try again and rev higher .. brown trouser moment on next run out :wow: All my cars had had one cam and inlet and one exhaust valve in each pot until then.

On another note David, how to remove fuel tank from 156 model, from under the car or inside?
Underneath ...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts