Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all - after some advice re the power steering on my 155 2.0 Sportpack. I'm pretty sure the pump is on its way out - it has been whining for a while and now the steering the feel through the wheel is 'lumpy'. Just occasionally, it can also pull one way or t'other when you're in a straight line - not nice! The fluid is also fairly black - which I'm guessing isn't good.

Any one experienced anything similar? I don't want to go ahead and get the pump replaced to then discover it could be a rack problem...

Cheers, J :confused:

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Steering pumps do go but they are pretty tough on the whole. Normally a bearing will go which will reduce efficiency and create duff bearing noises rather that a whine. If the rack is going you would normally start with a leak. You sure the level is where it should be?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have a similar dilema.

There is little play in the steering and a noticeable knocking sound when its moved 1-2 inches from left to right quickly from its standing position. This is only apparent when not moving.

I have no leaks and my fluid is clean, however I do get a difficult to describe whine/bearing noise, its not very loud but turning the wheel from a standing position does make it apparent.

Im at a loss as to whether its a Rack or Pump problem. I was planning to buy track rod ends and replaced them, then buy a second hand pump and send it off for a full recon. But like I said, im grabbin at straws myself :(

I certainly know Im "not" happy with the feel of the steering.

W

·
0 Posts
Could this be a simple as wishbones need changing or are you SURE it's the rack?

wrinx

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Evening all - thanks for the advice so far. The problem seemed to get even worse on the way home tonight, so action is definietly required. No leaks from the rack, so I'm pretty sure it's the pump. Any ideas where I might get a recon unit at a reasonable price?
:confused:

·
Registered
260 Posts
wrinx said:
Could this be a simple as wishbones need changing or are you SURE it's the rack?

wrinx
If that was directed at moa, they were changed along with the sump and clutch when I bought the car at the end of May this year.

JAJ I found a place that will re-con a rack, and I think they do pumps as well. Whether they are reasonable prices I wouldnt like to say as there arent many places to compare them to, You can find them here

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Humour said:
If that was directed at moa, they were changed along with the sump and clutch when I bought the car at the end of May this year.

JAJ I found a place that will re-con a rack, and I think they do pumps as well. Whether they are reasonable prices I wouldnt like to say as there arent many places to compare them to, You can find them here
Have just looked it up - sounds promising, so many thanks. Just hope they're reasonably priced - had a quote from another place that wants £550 +VAT for the rack alone, and that's before fitting...

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Have you tried changing the fluid and checking the belt tension??? A loose or badly worn belt can do some strange things to the feel of the steering. The fluid will discolour with normal use, but should really be changed long before it gets that nasty.

Worth go at least, before you throw hundreds of £ at it.

HTH

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
I can let you have a secondhand pump for £40 plus postage if you want to try that route. Should be able to source a rack "somewhat" cheaper than your 550 :eek: quote too!

Call me if you want...07976 384980

Regards

Richard

·
Registered
48 Posts
yea i have a problem with mine to, seemss to go really heavy at low revs and wines when you try steer at low revs. any ideas because its fine if you push up the revs to about 2k. it only happened after i toke it on to the beach, its was fine before then it started driving off. any ideas its getting annoyin to park and pull in hard spaces.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts