Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Just driving home ón the motorway when my spider (2.0 TS, 2000) coughed a few times, then started loosing the electrics. When i used the indicator, the speed and rev. Needle just dropped to zero but the car still drove. A few miles further ón the car just died. When i turned the key there was no power????
A mate gave mé a short push and the car started and quickley drove home. Agter coming home I turned the car of and then tried to start it again,,,,, but no power???

Any idea whats wrong? Please?:confused:

·
Registered
8,916 Posts

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
It's hard to get to, but easy to replace once you get to it. Does your car prime when you turn key to MAR? If so eliminate the fuel pump. If your dash dies completely then its probably your Alt. Get someone to test to see if there is a charge going to battery but you will need to start the car first.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, cheers... It will get a mech to check if irs charging. I just dont get why i could get it going just by pushing it. And ran fine the rest of the way home.....

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
You might find that you were running on the last of the battery, so budget for a new battery also if it fails to charge again.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Check the battery connections though, obvious first.

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
Car can run without the battery, this is an alternator issue.

First thing you notice when the alternator isn't charging is the rev counter and all gauges die, then lights get dimmer, engine splutter till it packs up.

Most likely the regulator on it, just have it refurbed.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I drove 70miles in a 2.4JTD the other day on battery power alone, i think it would of gone further. That was an alternator job, not as bad as the TS to change though.

The first thing you should notice if the alternator fails is the battery symbol on the dash comes on.

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
Should do yes, I managed about that in mine. drove from Aylesbury to Letchworth then South London where it left me stranded. I know it went in Aylesbury as the wires to a 3 pin connector above the gearbox dropped, caught on the CV and ripped them out.

If you remove the sense line from the alternator it won't charge, this line also activates the light on the dash.

I found out because I couldn't start the car, no starter motor as the solenoid is also on the same 3 pin connector along with oil pressure switch.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The first thing you should notice if the alternator fails is the battery symbol on the dash comes on.
Not always, My honda did this to me a few weeks back, 1st was the ABS light coming on, then SRS, then dials started going crazy, but managed to limp into work after switching everything off. dead alternator but no warning light. If you get it running stick a voltmeter on the battery,and look for 13.8v+. Anything under 12 and you are getting a discharge.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts