Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
before you think this is a crappy link for a cheap plug in power box, then your mistaken!!!!!

just simply change your thermostat if its not reading 90 when its up to full temp!!!!!

after a struggle to find one from my local motor factors i ordered a stat from shop4parts and after 2hours (yes only 2hours) i fitted my new stat 2day..... when i first bought my alfa afew months ago my temperature has never gone past 70 degrees, which i thought was fine, untill finding out it should sit at 90....

i took her for a blast shortly after fitting it to see if it worked, and of course it did, and i must say it pulls a hellof a lot better now both low down in the revs and higher up... and i dont mean a tiny difference which is just usualy all in your head thinking that it should be better.... but i mean something like an extra 25 ft lb of torque... it realy is great fun now,and every gear change makes the arse of the car drop to the floor........... my girlfriend wasnt to impressed tho, as she basicly **** her pants:cheese:

not bad for £67 :thumbs:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm soon to be doing this - could you please do a step by step write up on how to go about it?

cheers

yes easy

go to work, do asmuch over time as possible and fork out a few hundred quid to let alfa do it for ya :cheese:

sorry about that... will do a step by step for you tonight when im not up 2much

·
Registered
150 Posts
on mine the temp sits at 90 in traffic / town driving but at (or just above) 70 on the motorway. That sounds about right to me, or is that not right?

·
Registered
204 Posts
on mine the temp sits at 90 in traffic / town driving but at (or just above) 70 on the motorway. That sounds about right to me, or is that not right?
no 90 on motorways as well mate when it hits 90 it doesnt really move from it
My old 2.0l TS used to come back a bit on the Motorway to about 70ish. I'm not sure that it is unusual. The reason the temp stays at 90ish in town is cos the fan kicks in to stop it getting much higher. On the motorway the airflow through the radiator is that much greater so the fan doesn't even come into play. I guess if it got too cold, then the thermostat would close, but I'd have thought that would be a lot lower than 90 degrees...? There must be some official specs somewhere.

Edit: Oh, we are talking different engines I see ;)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ANYTHING THAT SITS LESS THAN 90 IS WRONG

on my new stat it was marked at 88degrees so no coolant should pass to the top hose to the radiator untill the engine gets to 88... but as the temperature usaly sits a couple of degrees higher than the stat says it should open, the temp should say 90

and the fans do kick in at 92......

simple test you can do.... if your temperature gauge reads correctly that is... let it tick over with the bonnect open and as soon as the top hose that goes to the radiator gets warm, look at the temperature gauge, if its not 90/88 then your stat is broken

SIMPLE no if or buts

·
Registered
150 Posts
On the motorway the airflow through the radiator is that much greater...
This was what I was thinking. However, 2.4jtd's test sounds simple so I'll try that. Can the garage check the stat directly during service or is it just a rip out and replace?

Sounds like a fairly common fault and if mine's faulty then it always has been ... through 4 services since I've owned it.

·
Vendor
46,116 Posts
Not right.

My old 2.0l TS used to come back a bit on the Motorway to about 70ish. I'm not sure that it is unusual. The reason the temp stays at 90ish in town is cos the fan kicks in to stop it getting much higher. On the motorway the airflow through the radiator is that much greater so the fan doesn't even come into play. I guess if it got too cold, then the thermostat would close, but I'd have thought that would be a lot lower than 90 degrees...? There must be some official specs somewhere.

Edit: Oh, we are talking different engines I see ;)
Greater airflow through the radiator at motorway speeds shouldn't matter, as if the coolant temp drops below 88 degrees the thermostat should close, stopping coolant flowing through the radiator.

ANYTHING THAT SITS LESS THAN 90 IS WRONG
Couldn't have said it better myself! :lol: :thumbs:

on my new stat it was marked at 88degrees so no coolant should pass to the top hose to the radiator untill the engine gets to 88... but as the temperature usaly sits a couple of degrees higher than the stat says it should open, the temp should say 90

and the fans do kick in at 92......

simple test you can do.... if your temperature gauge reads correctly that is... let it tick over with the bonnect open and as soon as the top hose that goes to the radiator gets warm, look at the temperature gauge, if its not 90/88 then your stat is broken

SIMPLE no if or buts
Good test. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've changed two stats now, one on my 156 2.0TS and last week, the one on my 2.0TS Spider (earlier type stat to that of 156).
On both, the biggest PITA (and hence time consuming/knuckle slashing job) is removing all the original crimped type hose clips.
After stat replacement, the 156 maintains a constant 90 degrees irrespective of road/traffic conditions whereas the spider now runs at a constant 90 around town but drops to around 80 degrees on the motorway. Maybe the airflow through rad is better on the spider or its temp. sender isn't as accurate as it should be? (or, I suppose, the new stat isn't working correctly!) though fuel consumption seems to be fine.

·
Registered
297 Posts
everyone i know with a 156 jtd sits at 70deg on the gauge and hits peaks of 90 whenbeing hammered/traffic.......how would this get through services and diagnostics if it were wrong? im not saying your fibbing or even that im right, just want to understand what the problem is, i doubt that so many alfas would have bad temp sensors?

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
the temp gauges are not always accurate... the test 2.4 JTD laid out above is correct, and I use it all the time myself, but the engine temp should always be checked through examiner. After all, the temp the ecu thinks the motor sits at is the one that matters...

·
Registered
172 Posts
This is really interesting as my 1.8 TS feels a bit sluggish and generally sits at about 70 rising to 90 when stopped in traffic then stays there.

Today driving to work (admittedly only 10 mins) it didn't even get to 50!

Perhaps a new stat would unlock some zip in my engine.

Could it be the guage which is wrong though? If it's as good as the fuel guage then i don't have much faith in its accuracy!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I think there should be a sticky up somewhere about the whole 'stat thing. It is the most common failing in the engine to the extent that everyone thinks it is normal. Normal it may be but right it is not.

The number of threads about it is amazing and half of the respondants still seem to think that 70ºC on the motorway is OK. Anything below 70 and the ECU goes into open loop fuelling (ignoring the lambda sensor on petrol models) so overfuelling. Hence poor combustion, low mpg and possible problems with killing the cat and lambda probe.

Get it changed and make an instant 3-4mpg difference, it's great :)

If the temp maxes out at 90ºC in traffic then it means your gauge is reading the right value (ish) as this is the temperature that the fans kick in (93 I think). Therefore if the engine is slow to warm up and does not reach this temp at speed then it is definitely the stat stuck open.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

That test sounds very familiar ;)

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/1990315-post14.html

although you forgot to mention that you have to have the air-con switched off as this forces the fans to come on too :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts