Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a new issue with my hood, and not one that I can find anything about. I wonder if anyone can help diagnose it.

I have the little flashing light going which is the ECU telling me that something is wrong. I've tried to operate it manually:

1. Drop windows - check
2. Release on the windscreen - check
3. Use the button to unscrew the frame from the clamshell - ah

The nearside motor that unscrews the frame from the back of the clamshell isn't working. The offside one is fine but the other one doesn't make a sound at all. I've tried 'jiggling' as someone suggested but to no avail. I've had a look around for a relay/fuse that controls this motor but can't find anything, though that doesn't mean that there isn't one.

Does anyone know what this could be? Whether there is some true manual override, or whether its likely to be a duff motor. If its the motor does anyone know how you can replace it given that I can't get to anything because the hood is jammed shut.

Thanks

·
Registered
663 Posts
Just a thought and not tried it myself. Inside the hood you can get to the tops of the pins for adjustment, presumably the pin could be disconnected from the frame thereby leaving it screwed into the clamshell allowing it to be opened for access to the screw-down motors.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Just a thought and not tried it myself. Inside the hood you can get to the tops of the pins for adjustment, presumably the pin could be disconnected from the frame thereby leaving it screwed into the clamshell allowing it to be opened for access to the screw-down motors.[/QUOTE

Hi, you are correct. This is the way to release the offending pin.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a thought and not tried it myself. Inside the hood you can get to the tops of the pins for adjustment, presumably the pin could be disconnected from the frame thereby leaving it screwed into the clamshell allowing it to be opened for access to the screw-down motors.

Thanks. Have a drive out in the other car this morning. Should be able to try it afterwards though. It’s ironic when I get everything else working, and the sun comes out, that the hood stops working.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I seem to remember the fuses are centrally mounted on the forward bulkhead in the boot. Take off the carpet trim and you should see a small bracket with relays on.
Sounds like it's either a relay, the nearside motor, or the connections inbetween.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I seem to remember the fuses are centrally mounted on the forward bulkhead in the boot. Take off the carpet trim and you should see a small bracket with relays on.
Sounds like it's either a relay, the nearside motor, or the connections inbetween.
There are a bunch of relays in the luggage bin behind the seats if you take the carpet out. I'm guessing that its these I should be looking at. I'll start pulling to see if I can make the working one stop then look for a partner, providing they are on different relays.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay. I found the relay in the cubby hole. If I pull the relay the working motor goes one way but won’t switch direction with the switch. There doesn’t look to be another similar relay.

I can’t adjust the pin because the cloth around it is pinned by it. However I think I can release the pin holder from the frame using an Allen key which will let me raise the frame enough to slacken it off. Hopefully it’ll be dry after work tomorrow.

I do have a dangling connector in the cubbyhole and can’t see where it would connect to. Pictures below:

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The two relays for the pin motors are in the boot, behind the left side of the carpet between the boot and hood stowage compartment.

There are about 5 or more relays, Sorry I can’t remember which is which

?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found the relays in the boot. Pulled them until the working motor stopped. Swapped the relays around and couldn't get the working one to fail or the non-working one to move. Conclusion is that its likely to be the motor.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Undid the bracket holding the pin in place and it came free and up away from the motor. It was just stuck. It's now working fine.

Thanks for the pointers everyone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts