Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sooooooo fuming :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Just been to collect some breakfast and have driven down the same road I have done for years and this time there was a pot hole that I couldn't avoid due to parked cars.

Crunch... my front passenger side alloy now is damaged. :rant::rant::rant::rant:

Just what do we pay road tax / council tax etc for if the roads in this country are so sh***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FORFKCUSSAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rant::rant::mad::mad::rant::rant:

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
It's not much consolation...

But take photos of the damage and the pothole and sue the council..

One day they'll realise it's cheaper to keep the roads in good condition

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
It's not much consolation...

But take photos of the damage and the pothole and sue the council..

One day they'll realise it's cheaper to keep the roads in good condition
Thats worth a try Steevie, my mum got £14,000 compo due to pothole damage:eek:

·
Registered
764 Posts
Information on how to claim is here...

Potholes.co.uk - Home Page
Nice one. :thumbs:

Does my head in, £1800 council tax and the roads in my area are full of potholes. Council have the audacity to claim that claims are taking a huge chuck out of their budget. WELL FILL THE F*****G HOLES IN THEN!!!

Trouble is years ago they sent out two men with some tarmac and a couple of shovels, now they have to get approval to get a survey done, get the work priced up (tenders out to private firms), get the work authorised, close the bloody road for three months and so on.

Funny how they seem to keep finding the money to needlessly rebuild junctions (which are usually worse by the time they have finished) and put in cycle lanes and so on though isn't it? :mad:

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I feel your pain:mad: Check the fifth gear website as the covered this last week IIRC.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right, been back to the said pothole and it isn't deep enough.

It seems that what I hit when going over / through said hole was a large piece of tarmac that was 'loose'.

I've checked my wheel and it just looks like it has been 'scuffed' but enough to notice when looking at it and ruins the look of the wheel.

crapola

R

·
0 Posts
Funny how they seem to keep finding the money to needlessly rebuild junctions (which are usually worse by the time they have finished) and put in cycle lanes and so on though isn't it? :mad:

With you on the needlessly rebuilt junctions but cycle lanes are funded from central goverment so aren't paid out of our council tax :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
what with all the potholes and speed bumps everywhere im seriously considering getting a sodding great big 4x4 as my next car, has the added bonus of ******* off all the eco-mentalists as well:thumbs:

but seriously i think its a national policy to leave the potholes in place as a traffic calming measure, cheaper than building a speed bump.

·
Regional Support, For South Scotland - AOSS
3,507 Posts
.....but seriously i think its a national policy to leave the potholes in place as a traffic calming measure, cheaper than building a speed bump.
They've just put in a load of speed humps round here - and I quite like them, :eek:. You can get up a decent bit of speed over these nice solid bits of tarmac before you have to slow right down to a crawl again to slalom through the minefield of potholes on either side of them, :rant: :lol:.

·
Registered
764 Posts
They've just put in a load of speed humps round here - and I quite like them, :eek:. You can get up a decent bit of speed over these nice solid bits of tarmac before you have to slow right down to a crawl again to slalom through the minefield of potholes on either side of them, :rant: :lol:.
There are some rodds where I find the car handles them better if you go faster!

·
Registered
31 Posts
1) Ring the Highway Department involved and tell them about the pothole. They have 1 Hour to fill it, if not they're being negligible.

2) Ask them to send you a claim form and a copy of the last 3 inspection reports for this section of road and also a copy of any works recently carried out on this section of road.

3) Also you want a copy of any complaints from the public with regards to this section of road.

If they fill it within the hour then they have fulfilled there responsibility and it is unlikely you will get anything back. This is unlikely to happen.

Fill out the claim form anyway, check all the inspections and stuff. Hopefully it shows that it has either been picked up on and inspection and nothing doen or that it has been reported before.

For the sake of a new wheel to the council it is easier to pay out than get a legal team involved. Make sure you keep the receipts for the repair.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts