Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all.

well last week passing through cardiff bay retail park, i was just exiting a roundabout and hit the mother of all potholes. so much so that i've scraped the underside of my bumper.

This baby is about the size of a square manhole cover and about 6 - 8 inches deep. it pretty much swallowed my whole tyre. since then my suspension on that side has been giving out a crunching and squeeking noise and the steering lurches a bit. need to get it in for a look and the wishbones are only 2 months old too.

First conversation with the council is that due to the weather there are many potholes about and they can't be responsible. looks like i may be footing the bill for this, which i think is a little unfair.:cry::rant:

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
hi all.

well last week passing through cardiff bay retail park, i was just exiting a roundabout and hit the mother of all potholes. so much so that i've scraped the underside of my bumper.

This baby is about the size of a square manhole cover and about 6 - 8 inches deep. it pretty much swallowed my whole tyre. since then my suspension on that side has been giving out a crunching and squeeking noise and the steering lurches a bit. need to get it in for a look and the wishbones are only 2 months old too.

First conversation with the council is that due to the weather there are many potholes about and they can't be responsible. looks like i may be footing the bill for this, which i think is a little unfair.:cry::rant:
The Council ARE responsible for that pothole appearing, I've had to claim a couple of times off our Council, and won them all. Took a VERY long time though, but it IS worth a try.....

Go back, before they fill it in, and take some pictures of the pothole, and especially the depth and size, plus the damage to your Car, and write a letter to the Council explaing exactly what happened. They will try and fob you off, but KEEP pushing and you will eventually get some sort of response.......

Good Luck......:thumbs:

·
Registered
602 Posts
Good advice n13roy.

12 months ago i got a puncture and alloys damaged in BIG pothole. Went back next morning and took loads of snaps (it was a part of the road that had been repaired several times before) bit of chasing, but 9 months later got paid.

H

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
I hit a raised manhloe cover a couple of years ago, and it really damaged the underneath of my 145. So I lost ALL my no claims bonus, plus I had to pay my excess too, and I had to pay the Garage before I got the Car back, but I chased it up with my Insurance ( Tesco ) and the Council, and I got ALL of it back, plus my no claims bounus re-instated too. So it IS worth a try........:)

I've posted the pics of the damage on here, I'll see if I can find them now !!!!.......

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/gene...some-serious-damage-to-my-145-cloverleaf.html

There we are, as you can see, this was WELL worth chasing up, as it would have left me seriously out of pocket, through NO fault of my own......:rant:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I ripped a hole in my front right tyre wall last weekend, I couldn't avoid it because of cars on the other side of the road.

It doesn't seem fair that I have to pay but it seems too much hassle to chase up the council for the price of one tyre.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Mother Nature?.... Ice...salt, freezes again, thaws, expansion, pop goes mans feeble attempts at making a durable road surface. Bring back cobble stones says I! :D :cheese:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've been robbed of about £1k due to pothole damage, 2 Alloys, 1 tyre, numerous suspension components, tracking etc etc etc. Keep your eyes open for a pothole that has been sprayed/marked, that shows the council are aware of it and has identified it as a risk. Then tell them you hit that one... I didn't say that... it was a joke...
It does make you sick though that we're expected to keep our cars in a roadworthy condition (and pay through the teeth to do so) when the roads aren't in a carworthy condition... annnnnnd 3...2...1... stepping down from my soap box.
check out fixmystreet.com too

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Ha Ha imagine the effect of cobbled streets on alfa's!

They would all fall apart!
DON'T go to Brentwood then, the Council have just relaid the High Street with ..... cobbles, or the modern equivalent of. Shakes your teeth it does, heaven knows what it does to the car :(

The latest form of traffic calming, it does work except if you have a Range Rover that is.

·
Registered
17,564 Posts
hi all.

To my knowledge the council are responsibe if the pothole was reported before an incident, which I'm guessing in this case would more than likely have been as it was in a busy place. I suppose they could tell you it hadn't!

Keep at them, it's disgusting that they can't sort the roads out :mad:

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
To my knowledge the council are responsibe if the pothole was reported before an incident, which I'm guessing in this case would more than likely have been as it was in a busy place. I suppose they could tell you it hadn't!

Keep at them, it's disgusting that they can't sort the roads out :mad:
The council are meant to do periodic inspections on the roads. Just because a pothole isn't reported doesn't mean the council are not liable.

I reported a pothole near where I live 3 weeks ago and still nothing has been done.

·
Registered
17,564 Posts
The council are meant to do periodic inspections on the roads. Just because a pothole isn't reported doesn't mean the council are not liable.

I reported a pothole near where I live 3 weeks ago and still nothing has been done.

I agree - but that is what I was told by the local council, it's their get out clause :rolleyes:

They are supposed to inspect the roads - there's potholes everywhere were I live and the've done nothing :(

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
Well if thats their get out clause then it isn't a good one.

You can get a freedom of information request about the frequency of road inspections on a particular road, and use that against them.

If they have inspected the road they should have found and filled the holes..

·
Registered
50 Posts
****!! Just hit a pothole and now the steering wheel's a few degrees out of alignment.

Will call Proalfa in the morning to get it looked at. Hopefully it'll only need the tracking reset......:(

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Yeah! and a secondary effect is the barstewards are thrashing around in their Beemers and Audis chucking pot hole loose granite chips out of their back tyres, chipping folks windscreens in the process! :mad:

G

·
Ha! Complained to the local council yesterday and also copied in the Mayor of North Tyneside as I had originally complained back in October 09 about potholes around the corner from me and the damage it had caused to my car. Response was "It's not the Council's problem as the area is private land and the upkeep of the roads is down to the shops in the precinct, so get in touch with them".

Nice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts