Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
New on this site. After having 2 AR 156's (2.0 Selespeed & 2.4JTD, both Veloce) I needed a bigger car so bought a Saab 93 as it had the 1.9 Fiat/GM diesel. Unfortunately all the problems I have had with the Saab have been engine related. So far in the last 3 months I have had to fork out for a new alternator, new water pump which siezed & then proceeded to shread the timing belt and wreck the valves (nice bill just before Christmas!), now it is back in the garage having a new EGR valve fitted.
Am going to replace this v soon and as I missed owning an Alfa, (could spend hours gazing out of the window at the 156 and they used to put a smile on my face every time I drove it) have decided to narrow my choice down to either an Audi A4 Convertible or 159 1.9 Ti.
The only thing holding me back on the 159 is the fact that it has the same engine as my Saab. Has anyone had any reliability issues with their 159 1.9JTDm engines? Can't afford to keep repairing fairly young cars (Saab only 41/2 yrs old 56000miles).

Cheers

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Had mine for 16 months now, not a sausage and would absolutely recommend one. Go for the lusso or if you wallet expands enough try the Ti. :lol:

paul

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Jlee.

I did exactly the same as you. moved from Saab 93 1.9TID to Alfa 159 1.9JTDM mine has done 75k and no probs. You will see a huge difference is quaility and wish you had made the switch sooner!

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Those engine issues afflict the 159 too.

The water pump shoudl be changed at 4 years along with the timing belt just in case.

EGR is common to all modern diesels, teh alternator is a wierd one, never heard of that, could be a specific Saab issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers guys, I'll do some more investigating then get down to mangoletsi's for a test drive.

·
Registered
17,564 Posts
I had the 159 JTD lusso (in red with black leather). Awesome car - I owned it from new and had no problems whatsoever, would recommend. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Am going to pick up my low mileage (57 reg 14k miles) from main dealer this weak - they are doing the cambelt as it will be covered under used approved scheme - Should I ask / worry about the water pump as well ??

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Absolutely! There is no reason not to do the water pump when changing the cambelt. Could save you a LOT of money if they do it now.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Make sure you check if the swirl valve rod is still attached on top of the inlet manifold if it is a metal and not plastic manifold, if it is off then you'll probably need a new manifold which can be an £800 job, google 'vectra inlet manifold' for more info

As has been said the water pump is a known weakness on this engine but shouldnt give any trouble as long as it is changed with the timing belt at about 60k and not the 90k Alfa recomend.
When they do go they usually only break the rockers and not bend any valves. Though that is still quite a big job but not as big as taking the head off to change the valves.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
89k, all good, no probs. just had water pump and cambelt done.

acording to the mechanic in my local Alfa Indie garage, the 1.9 16v didnt have swirl valves, only the 8v
iv looked at my inlet manifold and cant see anything that could be an actuator so im assuming the mechanic is correct.....

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
89k, all good, no probs. just had water pump and cambelt done.

acording to the mechanic in my local Alfa Indie garage, the 1.9 16v didnt have swirl valves, only the 8v
iv looked at my inlet manifold and cant see anything that could be an actuator so im assuming the mechanic is correct.....
I'm afraid your mechanic is wrong, the 120bhp 8 valve never had swirl valves, but I dont think that engine was ever available as uk spec, I think Ireland had it though.

The 16 valve 150 bhp has the swirl valves although some later cars had a plastic inlet manifold with a differant set up that doesnt give problems

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I'm afraid your mechanic is wrong, the 120bhp 8 valve never had swirl valves, but I dont think that engine was ever available as uk spec, I think Ireland had it though.

The 16 valve 150 bhp has the swirl valves although some later cars had a plastic inlet manifold with a differant set up that doesnt give problems

Mine is a 2007 on a 56 plate.
I can't see any actuator so must have either been replaced by previous owner or it was at the start of having the new inlet manifolds

There was a 120bhp model being sold in a different local garage a while back so must have been available over here unless it was an import....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts