Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all.

The above title is what I could do with being answered?

Background:
Due to a change in circumstances the Mazda 6 Diesel that I bought 10 months ago is now not really required. I've gone from 20k miles a + business down to 6.5k due to a work change. Most if it B roads so no prolonged motorway dpf cleaning rpm. Wife also past her test in the intervening period and has a car capable of carrying me, her and the kid around (5 doors and decent boot).

So I can drop down to a small/mid size petrol car. List is Mito, DS3 or Swift Sport.

So last week found a 12 plate Mito 135MA in Distinctive trim. It's at a dealership, but not AR.

Dropped in off spec just to have a look. Offered a test drive...why not. Only short, but no rattles, squeeze or warning lights........One owner car in good condition. Slight kerbing to front wheels and slight cag in passengers seat, but apart from that very nice. The price is very good for its age (under £8k) and mileage of 17k, and this I think is due to the fact it's not their brand and they failed to sell it so far. They also have it tagged as a Veloce when the plate comes back as Distinctive (only a minor thing but adds to my conundrum)

I asked some questions to which they had to come back with answers mid week (even though they have had it in stock for a while, no one thought to investigate via AR HQ)......not the ones I wanted which all adds to the ?

Service history......They serviced it (oil was clean on dipstick, so happy with that being true). So that's once in 17k.......but also once at 3 years old (i was hoping for at least one stamp at 12k)! So that and the alloys being kerbed makes me question the previous owner and the ole white goods, just a car ethos.
They have had it in since July..........hence the fact they are offering a great deal for part ex, as the sales manager said he needs it gone.

I've already said I'll go back this weekend for another look over and extended test drive. Will check steering lock to lock for top mounts/spring clunking..........Anything else worth looking at?

Already spoken to John at Simply Alfas for some Mito info (not specific to this car but the 135). He mentioned service history being important as you'd expect. If this car had 25 or 30k on it with the same history, I'd not be asking.

On the face of it, it looks like a deal.........Service history, looking through some of the forum posts here * and the AR badge makes me question......Am I mad for not walking away already?

What would you do?

*I understand that people only ask on here when they have an issue. Happy, working car owners just read and assist, so it a weighted argument.

Thanks in advance

Dave

·
Registered
116 Posts
Had a 1.3 JTD a year now and it's been totally reliable.A few 'quirks' of course as it is an Alfa,but these cars are pretty reliable now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought my 12 plate MiTo 1.4 Distinctive 105 with 13,132 (at collection) and it only had 1 service stamp I think and was MOT'd prior to collection. Apart from the fuel cap being a pain in the rear I've not had any issues with the car apart from a few minor cosmetic issues that the dealership I bought from have delivered terrible after sale service.

Nothing major, had a bumper bracket/clips on the driver side broken and despite pointing it out on the test drive, day of purchase and collection, it just a week short of 2 months to get that fixed, let alone a touch up pen for a minor scratch on the rear bumper, but all that is dealership specific and not against the car.

Has been a brilliant car and made the car, my first car, even today getting "posh" remarks about that car, you'd be mad not to buy one and at 17k for 3 years old and sub £8k (paid £8,500 for mine), you'd be getting a good deal as well.

·
Registered
126 Posts
With the MA models, oil changes are VERY important, using the correct spec oil and getting it done frequently (i do mine every 7k miles or so) to prevent multi-air failures / engine getting prematurely worn..
If you can do a deal with the dealer asking for 6 month post purchase warranty and do a FULL service including oil, filter etc then at £8k its pretty good

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had a 135MA for 4.5 years and put about 70,000 miles on it with nothing more than an electric window relay needing changing.

As said above, change the oil (make sure is is absolutely the correct spec) more regularly than the service book says.

I would also ask the the garage to get a mechanic to take off the spark plug leads so you can have a look down the holes. Take a torch. Check there is no oil in the spark plug holes. Sometimes the seals weep in the top engine cover and need changing.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
You're not mad

I've had my MiTo for 3 months bought it at 20,600 miles 3000 miles later I'm still in love :inlove:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts