Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm considering taking a punt on this, advice welcome: Alfa 159Ti 1.9 JTDM | eBay

I've become a bit obsessed with 159s recently and am almost itching to jump in. Never owned an Alfa before, i currently have a 22 year old 986 boxster that is fun, but just not fit for purpose so i really do need to shift this. The new car purchase will be for travelling the occasional 400 mile round trip to home in Wales, plus the odd shopping trip (i commute via train).

I'm reasonably handy with spanners but don't have a drive, so all work would need to be done on the street. Is the above too much of a risk and should i stick to something more safe? Key for me is the ti spec, preferably red and the tan interior.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
As Alfa's go, the 159 is generally more robust than some of its predecessors - that said there are issues generally, subframes have a habit of rusting, the diesels suffer from swirl flap issues and are best removed at the earliest opportunity, in addition, these earlier diesel engines can be prone to DPF issues, fixed on later 2.0 engines.

Specifically on the Ti, rear springs fail, so definitely a point to check when scoping out one, or look at MOT history for any idea of having been replaced, and the aggressive tracking and large wheels can eat through front tyres, and the obscure standard size means decent tyres are not cheap

Most of the work can be done on jacks/axle stands, although certain jobs you'd want to leave to the pro's!

The red and tan is a nice combo, but I imagine quite uncommon, I've only ever seen one in the flesh myself. Alfa Red paint is prone to stone chipping and lacquer peel, just look at the condition of the eBay link you posted, although that is pretty extreme.

The later 2.0 engine, or if you can find, TBi engine are considered the pick of the bunch, although the earlier 2.4 with a remap is a bit of a weapon.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As Alfa's go, the 159 is generally more robust than some of its predecessors - that said there are issues generally, subframes have a habit of rusting, the diesels suffer from swirl flap issues and are best removed at the earliest opportunity, in addition, these earlier diesel engines can be prone to DPF issues, fixed on later 2.0 engines.

Specifically on the Ti, rear springs fail, so definitely a point to check when scoping out one, or look at MOT history for any idea of having been replaced, and the aggressive tracking and large wheels can eat through front tyres, and the obscure standard size means decent tyres are not cheap

Most of the work can be done on jacks/axle stands, although certain jobs you'd want to leave to the pro's!

The red and tan is a nice combo, but I imagine quite uncommon, I've only ever seen one in the flesh myself. Alfa Red paint is prone to stone chipping and lacquer peel, just look at the condition of the eBay link you posted, although that is pretty extreme.

The later 2.0 engine, or if you can find, TBi engine are considered the pick of the bunch, although the earlier 2.4 with a remap is a bit of a weapon.
A lot of good points here and reinforces what I’ve garnered from this forum so far.
I guess the stone chips etc I can live with in the immediate future and look to get tidied up later on. From what I read almost all cars in this colour will suffer to some extent.
A lot of the mechanical issues seem to have been tackled, e.g. egr blank. But the gearbox does worry me, there is no evidence of previous work or even a gearbox oil change and with the remap, I suspect this will have put more stress on it. Plus that judder under 2k revs sounds interesting and there seems to be a variety of potential causes based on anecdotes from this forum

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
If its still about post lockdown, then go and have a look at it if it’s local, should it be worse case, the gearbox will need a rebuild, the clutch would be worth doing at the same time, and the juddering is likely to be a DMF, you’ll be into 2k+ worth of bills before you even have it driving properly. And if you’re spending that, then added to the purchase price, then there are better cars about for that kind of money.

if it’s been remapped, you want proof that the DPF hasn’t been monkeyed with, as that’s an MOT failure, and pricey to replace with a new one.

The paintwork on that is pretty rough, and from the pictures, it would appear the bonnet has seen paint before, unless you’re in the trade, or have a mate who can perform body repairs cheaply, that’s not going to be a cheap or easy fix.

Surprisingly, the callipers look alright, but the tyres appear to be budget, I’d be wary of anything that appears to have been run on a budget, or had any issues neglected.

Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Ok so got the new whip home tonight, chuffed. Time to start looking through the threads but a full service first stop, including a gearbox oil refresh (its a 1.9 jtd with 106k and nothing done to the gearbox beyond a clutch change)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts